Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sandalwood fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I was just amusing myself at kingdoublebass.com; you know, the folks that'll fix you up with a real nice hot rod flame job on your bass.

I noticed that they offer sandalwood as a fingerboard option. I've never heard of this before. Anyone else ever hear of such a thing?

I brought back a bunch of sandalwood stuff when I went to India a few years back, and the stuff is really soft...

I'll bet it's the best SMELLING fingerboard out there. Just like Autumn Stone, my local record/head shop circa mid 70's (well, there were a few other smells mixed in there too, but we won't get into that...)

2. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Yes, sandalwood is *very* soft. Besides the smell, it's the other reason you find trinkets made of it - it carves like butter. If someone's making a fingerboard out of it, it's probably laquered pretty thick. So you wouldn't even get to smell it. :( Or else they expect you to replace the fingerboard rather frequently.

What I think would make an interesting fingerboard wood would be purple heart. About as hard as rosewood but heavier, and you guessed it, it's purple. Beautiful stuff when polished, but I think the grain mixing with the strings could do weird things to your eyes if you watch your left hand too much.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yep, lots of interesting exotic hardwoods around.

I'm starting to wonder if this is the same "trinket" sandalwood you and I are thinking of, Schlomo. I was looking at a German woodworking tool catalog the other day and found some tool handles made of sandalwood. The stuff pictured is definitely not the same thing I'm thinking of.

Maybe sandalwood is like ebony: sap wood different than heartwood. I did a little research on sandalwood, and everything tells me it's harder than hell.

Not my sandalwood Ganesh. He smells wonderful and I can mark him easily with a thumbnail.

4. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I did some research, you're right. Sandal trees have a very dense heartwood and soft outer sapwood. I've just never encountered anything made of the inner stuff. Learn something new every day I guess... Come to think of it, that *would* be an interesting fingerboard.