1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SANDBERG basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casio, Aug 17, 2007.

1. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Hey guys!
    I was at a presentation of some Phil Jones equipment and Sandberg basses yesterday. I wanted to see what our experiences where with the basses?
    I must say that at first I did expect much more, but they also have awesome "Bang for the Buck" value!:D

I played the Panther model and two Caifornia models. The panther surprised me how agressive the bass sounds, awesome tone for rock players, aspecially if you plan on using a pick!
    On the other hand, the California models where somewhat of a dissapointment. They have the clarity, but I felt the humbuckers (which I usually adore) just didn't cut it soundwise, so I ended up soloing the J/P pickups (dependong on the bass).
    Still, if you're a fan of the "Vintage" fender-like sound, but want a more playable and slightly more modern sounding bas, this is a great choice within it's pricerange!:D

2. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    :)
    yeah, gotta agree with you, since i was there also,
    JM california did sound good in my opinion but panther was kickass! :)
    PM california was a big down :( but it sure does look sexy! :)

3. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    hahaha!:D

ZZ Top Style!:D

4. Pierrot

Pierrot

Jul 19, 2007
    Northern Sweden
    Could you elaborate on how it was a big down? I am looking to buy one in the near future, but won't have the opportunity to try it first. What I've gathered about it so far in terms of sound clips and user opinions has been positive, so I'd much appreciate to get the negative aspects first before I go and do something stupid. ;)

5. Interesting what you are saying about the California being a bit of a disappointment...

In my experience the Sandberg totally played it's rivals into the ground. I am referring to other J-bass type guitars. The JM5 is very versatile too - you can make it sound aggressive or laid back if you want to.

Haven't played the Panther, but I assume from looking at it that it was designed primarily as an active type bass, while the California is primarily a Jazz bass.

Either way, Sandberg's workmanship is brilliant!!

6. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe

PM5 is big down for me , it's muddy, dark and without definition, . but, it's got GROWL, warmth and it's MASSIVE ! ts P sound "with balls". for hard rock, its THA AXE . crafmanship, detalis and all other things are top notch, it looks AWESOME (blue finish white pickguard)

but JM california IS GREAT! i would recomend it to any one who is thinking about buying Jazz bass.

7. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    my personal opinion is that the JM California was a slight letdown cpared to lakland for instance, but you also have the price factor here.
    for what it costs, the JM is a nice, modern and versatile Jazz Bass. I don't think anyone would mind having one at home.

There where threads the last days reffering to not being able to gig wthout a fender.
    If you get this, you have the classic sound with a new view on the concept!:D
    Basicaly my only disapointment was the fact that I kind of expected some more output from the bass, some more balls. Not the rock oriented bassy sound, just more output, more sound coming frome the bass without tweaking the amp

8. Im thinking of getting a PM California model in the near future. Hopefully it will sound like the mutts nuts tho! (Nordstrand pups going into it)