1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sandberg california PM vs Sadowsky Vintage P/J 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stride000, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I went into a store last night to try some Glockenklang gear. While I was there after the test, the guy at the store showed me those Sandberg basses. I had never heard of those before and we went on to play a couple through the Glockenklang kit and I thought it sounded really really good.

Now, I didn't fall in love with the Glock sound and as there was no other bass amplifying equipment there, I couldn't hear the Sandberg in another kit.

Also, there are lots of raves about Sadowsky vintage basses being the thing when looking for a real P-bass 62 vintage sound but with a bit of steroids.

So I was wondering. Before shedding 4000$ on a bass, how do those Sandbergs really compare to the Sadowskies?

2. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Anyone?

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I saw a few of these basses at the NAMM show, in the Phill
    Jones booth. They weren't set up for me at all, but they
    looked VERY nice. The P bass was just a bit too big sounding
    for me. Sort of like a Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup sound.
    They look very well made. I'd love to see these basses in
    the U.S.

4. Hmm there's a shop here in town that has the Sandbergs (as well as a glock rig). I've been meaning to get over there to A/B them with my Sadowskys. If my weekend is leisurely I may have a new post for you on Monday!

5. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    FWIW, I was considering a Sandberg vs. Clover a while back and had rec'd some info email from a dealer in Germany.

Here's a link to all their Sandberg stuff: http://www.session.de

Maybe the email below will be of at least some limited help:

[​IMG]

6. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Yep, at Moog audio. That's exactly where I saw them. Looking forward to the results of your comparison when you have time.

Thanks

7. Ha! That's hilarious. I was thinking "I wonder if the OP is from Montreal" while I was typing. If you want to go to Moog and compare them with my sadowskys send me an email. First hand experience will be better than me typing a post.

EDIT: Ooops, I just realized you were asking about a PJ. My basses are all JJ. Sorry about that...

8. I haven't tried a Sandberg and only tried a sadowsky very briefly (although I'm expecting to recieve mine any day now). But there have been nothing but glowing reviews on the Sandberg and we all know that Sadowsky is very popular here. Oranges and Apples (ideally you'd try both).

9. +1

I cant pick myself, so when ive got loads of cash spare, its a sandberg PM and a sadowsky J

10. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Then it would just be a matter of comparing your JJ with a Sandberg JM, I think they got one of those.

I don't absolutely need to compare the P types, it's more a matter of getting an idea of the general sound characteristics between both constructors.

11. Then the offer is back on the table!:bassist:

12. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Great!

I'll be out of town starting tomorrow so unless you're free this evening we can schedule something at the end of next week if it fits your schedule.

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I have a Sadowsky MV5 for more than a year now.
    I'll be getting my Sandberg in 10 days or so...
    I'll post my comparisons.

14. Hi, sorry for the late response but Thursday is my teaching day now and I am not on the net. Next weekend sounds great as I'm not gigging and the weather will hopefully be better! Send me an email through the board and we'll make a plan.

Randall

15. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales

I'd be interested to read your views, thanks.

16. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Actually I got a Sandberg PM5 and a Sadowsky MV5.

Both are excellent basses.
    Build quality is about the same.

The neck of the Sandberg is a but thinner and less broad.

IMO the PUs and especially the preamp of the Sad is far superior.
    The Sandberg PU/preamp combo sounds clanky to me.
    I replaced them with a Häussel/Sadowsky combo and the bass sounds MUCH better.

I prefer my Sadowsky J and have ordered PJ5.
    I like the overall package better.

Keep in mind though that the Sadowsky costs about double of the Sandberg.

17. q998

q998

Apr 8, 2003
    Wales
    Thanks, That's very helpful.