1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sandberg Electra TT4 or Fender Standard Jazz Bass MIM ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grno, Oct 14, 2013.

1. grno

grno

Oct 14, 2013
    hi,
    currently I'm playing the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70

after spending a little time on the setup it and put new strings - that's*interesting instrument with considerable opportunities for relatively little money

but ... :) I have G.A.S. and I have a question for someone who has had the opportunity to play on Sandberg'u Electra TT4 or Fender Standard Jazz Bass MIM with the last of the latest production 2012-2013 (this is what is available on the thomann.de )

http://www.thomann.de/pl/sandberg_electra_tt4_cr.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/pl/fender_standard_jazz_bass_mn_aw_2011.htm

as it is sonically / qualitatively / playing experience / convenience/ etc. to my Squier VM '70 ?

does anyone have a comparison ?

It is worth to spend money on any of these guitar or ... invest / buy Squier for example, a set of DiMarzio pickups and a himass bridge ?

Maybe you have other suggestions, which could be the next level up ( so that I could feel the difference ) the Squier VM '70 ? :)

I have no way to try these bass in the store :(

Best Regards
    grno

2. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    If Sandberg then only the California series

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    If you want a classic fender jazz bass tone then buy the mim standard jazz bass. I've never played those sandbergs but ---------> you can never get wrong with Fender!
    :hidding:

4. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    Sandberg California line is superior to everything by fender till the MIA standard and is in the same price range as MIA Std

5. IMHO, both will be a noticeable step up from your Squier. (Disclaimer: I´m a Fender guy, but not a fan of the VM 70s - I just don´t like the sound of the maple-maple combo).

That said, the Fender will be the better choice for the classic, growly jazz bass sound. The Sandberg has a crisper, more modern sound. I´m not crazy about the electronics though - the EQ does nothing you couldn´t dial in on your amp, and in passive mode (thumbs up for Sandberg for including this option, though) you only have Volume and Blend. I find the Fender to be more versatile sonically. Craftsmanship tends to be very consistent with Sandberg - I tried quite a few Electras, and they were all top notch. If I had to order unseen, I´d take Sandberg over Fender (personal experience).

My favourite would be an Electra with Fender´s classic Vol-Vol-Tone layout - best of both worlds. :)