1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sandberg Pbass vs Fender Pbass -Which one has the better sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Aug 1, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    So I'm testing out P basses because I would like one. I really like the Fender American Deluxe with the active/passive switch. But I was in a small music store and someone was testing a Sandberg California PM5 Pbass. That monster was vicious in my "ears" opinion. Since i'm still a newbie I'd like to hear from the experience players on which is, in your opinion, a better bass and why. Sandberg or Fender.

2. I had have both, and different models actually. And at the end Sandberg won for me.

I love fender basses. I try different models/years before getting in love with fender. I also tried different fenderish brands like Sadowsky (in may opinion they loos that aggressive sound that a Fender can deliver), Lakeland (never felt confortable with it), etc. They all are great instruments, probably some of them are better crafted than a Fender CustomShop. But at the end I always came back to my fender Jazz Custom shop and my 71 Pbass. I also tried new fenders, like the new deluxe J and P. I really get in love with those deluxe models, I still own them.

During a business trip I made a personal stop in a guitar shop (BTM Guitars - Nurenberg, Germany), incredible place by the way. I was checking out some fender custom shop models, I think they were a limited run only for euro market and the bass expert told me about this German brand call Sandberg. I try a California VM (P with a Humbucker) and found that punchy, growly, glory sound that I though I was getting with fender.

My god I totally fall in love with the brand, I tried several of them and compare them with Fender Custom Shops. Custom Shops are very good but Sandberg deliver a similar quality at a lower price. In my opinion the Sandbergs have a better relic finish that any CS I had ever seen. The neck profile is faster and more ergonomic than any fender I tried, the 0fret is incredible and the preamp is not as strong as other active fenders but it delivers a better sound quality to me.

I will never sell my fenders, I think they are great. But Sandberg is defiantly the bass that I was always looking for. Not only california models, I own a Bullet and it's super fast and easy to play instrument.

Try a Sandberg you will not regret it.

3. That's the problem.

Where to try one?

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Fender for the sound.

Come on: let's get real!
    Are we bassmen here to discuss on bass guitars to talk about bass guitars, thanks to virtually unknown artisan luthier atelier around the world, or we're sons of generations of music enthusiasts been raised by thousands of hours of each n'every kind of music recordings all thru Fender Precisions/Jazzes?

Truth is:
    The least MIM standard already IS a Fender Precision (Jazz).
    The best luthier boutique bass "interpretation" HAS to sound like a Fender Precision (Jazz) to justify collateral quality and less cuttin' and personal and impressive sound...

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. I don't understand a word you said.

Rough night? :)

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hard day?!;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

hilobaytrading likes this.
  7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Sandberg all day long. It's not even a close contest.

8. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I had the same dilemma before buying a Sandberg California TM5 Supreme, and haven't regretted it. I almost bought the Olympic white Fender Deluxe 5-stringer jazz, which I'd still like to test one day, but Sandberg it is for me.

I bought a second Sandberg two months ago, a hardcore aged white P-bass (VS4 as they call it) which is just fantastic in build quality, sound, looks, everything I want from a bass - it's there. Got TI flats on it -> SVT-VR with 810 cab = tone heaven.

9. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed. They need a better presence in the USA.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sandberg.

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've never played a Sandberg, but when you are asking about tone, I still think it's like asking if you like one flavor of ice cream better than another. Personal preference is the only thing that counts in this kind of a comparison, and so it's really something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Bottom line, trust your ears, noob or not. :)