1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sandberg PM5 vs Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uly_, Mar 12, 2008.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hey Talkbass!

I'm looking for a bit of advice here. Recently I managed to get a lot of cash on my hands and therefore I'd like a 5 string bass (been playing 4 string since I started back in year 2001)

I've been looking at a new Sandberg PM5 and a used MM stingray 5 in sparkly black with matching headstock for about $1900. A new Sandberg PM5 is about $2500. Thing is, I haven't tried any of them yet (planning to try out the sandberg this coming monday tho) and the local musicstore don't have a musicman 5 string at the moment :(

Well, I'm just looking for your opinions and guidance here as I will most likely not have this amount of money again for many years (studying)

Thanks in advance,

Bo

2. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Hi Bo,
    Sweet problem. Both are great. I am a big fan of European manufacturers, but also Stingray is one of my favorites.
    With the PM you get much more variety, and the tone is great. Not only the two PUs, but they are great in passive mode as well. Action is very similar to Stingray IMO. And I love those aged finishes, they look cool!
    With the Stingray you will have a slightly better, or rather unique, more agressive humbucker tone and you can be always sure to be heard through the mix. I don't say that he PM does not go through well, actually it does, but the Stingray IMO is one of the best bassguitars in it. The Stingray has one sound only, but IME it can be used in almost any kind of genres.
    Also take into consideration which one is capable of maintaning its value better in the USA, one day you might want to change, you never know.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Losbass likes this.
  3. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Oh and I just forgot, if you slap a lot, go for the Stingray!

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick and useful reply :)

Well, I guess you have tried them both? Sounds like it. I came to think about how different a stingray 4 and a 'ray 5 sounds? I know they have a stingray 4 at the musicstore but I think there's no point in trying it if it can't be compared to a 'ray 5.

From what I can read in your reply it seems that you're digging the stingray more than the PM5, is that right? :)

Thanks again!

Edit: No, I don't slap at all :) it's just not my cup 'o tea.

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Well I don't like Stingrays at all, but my Custom PM5 should be here any day now.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I have alot of experience with SR5's and I can tell you that I would consider the HH model over the single H. The double humbucker has more tonal control. As far as the PM5, I have never played one, but my only concern would be the placement of the split P pup. It looks to be a little too far from the neck and too close to the bridge pup to really make it useful. Remember, I'm giving my opinion on looks alone. Just my 2 cents...

7. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Well, it's difficult to say that one is better. If you don't slap at all, I'd say PM5 might be a better choice because of great variety, but SR is just one of the most succesfull basses of all time.
    I think the P PU is sounding great, at least I never realized that positioning issue.
    The 4 string SR is very similar in sound to a 5 string. The feeling will be different, and you will not have the switch between parallel and series, which is custom in SR5, but I never really found it usefull.
    No, I don't have Sandberg, but I played it a lot in local stores and I really like it.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Take a look. It might just be me, but I have a Fender Pbass Deluxe 5 with a similiar pup arrangement, but the layout looks to be further apart. Anyone have any thoughts?

Attached Files:

9. Lord Of Paaren

Lord Of Paaren

Feb 1, 2007
  10. SR5, Im not much for the HH models as they sound a little boomy sometimes. And you cant really get the classic single humbucker tone with em.

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Sure you can! :eyebrow:

Just put the switch in position one and you have just the bridge PU on. :hyper:

12. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Well I don't really like Stringrays, but I love Sandbergs. I played all models (except the panther) and loved them all.
    Check on the price, it shouldn't be soo high. If you can get the Sandberg for less than the Stingray I´d go for it!

13. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hey all and thanks for you replies! Appreciated :)

Hmm, well the local musicstore is the only dealer here in Denmark, so I guess I have to live with the pricetag :scowl:

Anyway, I'm going to try out the sandberg and a stingray 4 and see how that goes.

Keep your experiences coming though, it's great to see different oppinions on these two basses.

14. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany