Sandblasting and Toasting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LajoieT, Aug 23, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey all!

I've been thinking a while on building my own bass from parts from some of the typical suppliers (USACG, Warmoth, etc) and I have a memory (which is always sketchy) of reading about a guitar once that I thought looked fantastic. If I remember right they said that the body had been sandblasted and then burned. I think it may have been an Auerswald but it was several years ago. Has anyone ever heard of using these techniques? Any suggestions or recomendations? Any idea on what you would do to the wood after the process for finish? Oil? Poly? Other?

I've read through all the other posts on this forum and I just wanted to say thank you to all the knowlegeable folks who are lending their expertise to those of us playing Frankenstein in out basements/garages. You've both inspired me to try and scared the hell out of me with the details!!!!
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I wouldn't recommend sandblasting wood...takes half an eternity to get the sand out of the wood afterwards...

Burning, though, is an interesting way to achieve spectacular aesthetics.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

You might find THIS interesting... It's a "How-To" guide, from, which shows 1 or 2 different ways to do a burnt finish.