1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sanding a Fretless Fingerboard (for action)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, May 30, 2007.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    So I have my action where I want it on my fretless. Only problem is that higher notes, starting at like 15th "fret" or so, start buzzing like mad or just dying. Relief is small, but definately there, so I doubt that's an issue.

I can't think of any bad effects that I could get from sanding down the fingerboard...

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The only reason to plane the fingerboard is to insure that it can be made straight at tension when the instrument is strung to pitch. If there is a problem then and only then should this drastic work be undertaken. All other perceived problems can be taken care of through regular set up protocols.

3. if your bass is fretles as a result of a defretting job, then it might need to be sanded to smooth out bumps left in the board. otherwise, i agree with the prior post - standard setup procedures should be sufficient. if the standard stuff isn't enough, then take it to a pro.

4. It's going to come out the same as raising the action. How about doing that then monkeying with the relief?

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's not going to raise the action everywhere, only higher up the neck. Lower on the neck everything is fine. It seems like the fingerboard isn't flat, though. And I don't know what to do about it. It seems like it rises as I get higher up the neck.

6. what kind of bass is this? how old? how many strings?
    was it defretted?

how high off the board are the strings at the 1st fret? at the 15th fret (where you say the trouble starts)?

this information may be helpful in getting further suggestions.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's a Dean Edge 5 string fretless, not defretted.

The strings aren't very high off the board. I like the action low, so that's where it is. Sorry, I can't really give you a number, it's late and I don't feel like measuring...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021