Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanding after defret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim__x, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm thinking of defreting an old yamaha, and I was wondering, would you recommend sanding by hand, with a sanding block, belt sander or a random orbital hand sander?

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    None of the above. I made the mistake of using a sanding block on my first de-fret...goodbye fingerboard radius! (unless that's what you want) Try this-buy that expanding foam stuff, and fill up a small ziplok bag with it. Before it hardens, lay the neck into it to make an impression. After it hardens, you have a toolable block that matches your neck radius. Cut it to a comfortable shape and add sand paper. Of course, you could also order a radiused block from StewMac!

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, a radiused block is the only way to go. Definately do not take a power tool to this job.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Like FBB said...a radiused block is the best. I would have used one if the bass I defretted was worth the trouble of ordering it and all that. I wasn't patient enough and since this bass was an old cheapy I kind of experimented. I bought a somewhat firm sanding sponge and used that. I curved my hand and let the sanding sponge conform to the radius of the neck as I sanded evenly with just enough pressure to not smush it down flat. That seems to have worked and I was very pleased with the results.

brad cook