Sanding after defret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim__x, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm thinking of defreting an old yamaha, and I was wondering, would you recommend sanding by hand, with a sanding block, belt sander or a random orbital hand sander?
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    None of the above. I made the mistake of using a sanding block on my first de-fret...goodbye fingerboard radius! (unless that's what you want) Try this-buy that expanding foam stuff, and fill up a small ziplok bag with it. Before it hardens, lay the neck into it to make an impression. After it hardens, you have a toolable block that matches your neck radius. Cut it to a comfortable shape and add sand paper. Of course, you could also order a radiused block from StewMac!
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, a radiused block is the only way to go. Definately do not take a power tool to this job.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Like FBB said...a radiused block is the best. I would have used one if the bass I defretted was worth the trouble of ordering it and all that. I wasn't patient enough and since this bass was an old cheapy I kind of experimented. I bought a somewhat firm sanding sponge and used that. I curved my hand and let the sanding sponge conform to the radius of the neck as I sanded evenly with just enough pressure to not smush it down flat. That seems to have worked and I was very pleased with the results.

brad cook