1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sanding Composite material

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chasarms, May 8, 2003.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know this will sound really petty, but somehow (and I can't for the life of me figure out how) my Q5 has ended up with a Tiny chip out of the back of the neck.

It is only about 3/16" long (at the most) and maybe a 1/16" wide.

Looks wise, it doesn't really matter, but it is right behind the 9th fret area and very time I position there, I feel it. It bugs the crap out of me for some reason.

Anyway, I was thinking of just doing a superglue or epoxy fill. It can't be more than 1/32" deep. My concern is sanding it out and being able to polish out the neck to its original luster.

Before I get started, I though it appropriate to take it to the committee. :) Thoughts?

Chas

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Chas., I would go with the superglue fill. If you sand 1/32" off the neck and feather it out you might be removing enough wood to create a weak spot in the neck that may show up down the road as a "bent" spot in the neck.

Then again, sanding it out may work just fine. I always prefer the least risky option though.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Chas., I would go with the superglue fill. If you sand 1/32" off the neck and feather it out you might be removing enough wood to create a weak spot in the neck that may show up down the road as a "bent" spot in the neck.

Then again, sanding it out may work just fine. I always prefer the least risky option though.

Pkr2