Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanding Composite material

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chasarms, May 8, 2003.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know this will sound really petty, but somehow (and I can't for the life of me figure out how) my Q5 has ended up with a Tiny chip out of the back of the neck.

It is only about 3/16" long (at the most) and maybe a 1/16" wide.

Looks wise, it doesn't really matter, but it is right behind the 9th fret area and very time I position there, I feel it. It bugs the crap out of me for some reason.

Anyway, I was thinking of just doing a superglue or epoxy fill. It can't be more than 1/32" deep. My concern is sanding it out and being able to polish out the neck to its original luster.

Before I get started, I though it appropriate to take it to the committee. :) Thoughts?

Chas

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Chas., I would go with the superglue fill. If you sand 1/32" off the neck and feather it out you might be removing enough wood to create a weak spot in the neck that may show up down the road as a "bent" spot in the neck.

Then again, sanding it out may work just fine. I always prefer the least risky option though.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Chas., I would go with the superglue fill. If you sand 1/32" off the neck and feather it out you might be removing enough wood to create a weak spot in the neck that may show up down the road as a "bent" spot in the neck.

Then again, sanding it out may work just fine. I always prefer the least risky option though.

Pkr2