Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanding Epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I've got three coats of Mirror Coat down (thin, thicker and thin) and there are still a few bubbles and low spots. When I sanded the second coat with 800 and 1200 it kinda scared me how cloudy and dull the finish became. So what is the best way to get the final sanding back up to the Mirror Finish? I dont want to go much thicker.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can keep going through the 2000's. I think you might be satisfied to go to 1500 and then some polishing compound, though.

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    ditto, I've usually gone up to 1500 or so, and then used some 0000 steel wool, followed by polishing compound and have been real happy with the results. nice n' shiny :D

4. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    any specific compound I should be looking for?
    tnx

5. Baird

Baird

Jun 27, 2005
    When I epoxied my f-board, I wetsanded up to 1500 and then used turtle wax car polish to get a nice shine. Don't worry about the cloudiness at first. If you get to the polish step and you are still cloudy, go back down to 1500 and wetsand.

Hope this helps

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I went all the way up to 2000 and then hit it with the wool before using rubbing compound. It's not glassy like wet epoxy, but its pretty good. Bass is finally finished, I'll have pics tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help, guys.