sanding my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by patrickroberts, May 5, 2005.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Ive got a white jazz bass, and the lead guitarist in MY band has got a white strat - which just aint rock n' roll!!! So i was thinking of sanding my bass down for a natural finish. How do i do it? any opinions?
  2. I personally think white jazz basses with tortoise shell pickguards are sexy sexy sexy! If you MUST sand it down though, you may find some tips at the Stewart-MacDonald guitar shop supply website:
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Don't do it! White Js are great (but I prefer a black pickguard to tort or pearl).
  4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    don't do it. You'll find some ugly wood down a 3 piece body were the grain and the tonality of the wood are very different in each piece and don't match at all.

...on the other side, you can do it and if you don't like it you can finish it in a new solid color...but this is a lot of work and money just to change the look of the bass...

if you want a new look change the pickguard.

keep groooovin'
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
  6. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Don't bother I've tried it with decent results, but never again. It takes literally forever, especially if the body has a protective POLYESTHER (not polyurethane) coating beneath the paint, which it most likely does. The polyester is incredibly difficult to remove and takes hours of sanding with a good quality palm sander to remove. Then you gotta get into every nick and cranny to get a nice finish. then you gotta rough sand and finish sand and then you'll need to put on some sort of protective finish to protect the wood, which is probably 3 pieces of alder that don't match. Thats why fender painted it in the first place as opposed to a clear type of finish.
    Just change your pickguard and get a decent quality bridge, maybe some new knobs. better time and money spent! ;)
  7. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Don't do it make the guitarist do it. Are tell him to buy a new guitar. :)
  8. Are you talking about that '60's jazz listed in your profile?
    Is so, I don't know what to say
  9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Yes, please let us know if you were about to remove the original finish from a 60's Jazz. :rollno: If so, The first few responders to this post should get some kind of merit award for heroic rescue...or something like that.

As far as the "matching white finish" issue, slap a couple stickers or a cool pick guard on it. Easy to do and easy to undo.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't do it!

Since this is repair and mod oriented, I am moving it to Setup.
  11. +1
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've done it. It is a pain in the ass. It also isn't worth it.
  13. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I could not agree more. some things are better left alone.
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Just spill some blood on it and let it dry. Should leave an interesting design and distinguish your bass from that of the guitarist.