1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sanding Neck - Resale killer?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joshmickelson, May 7, 2010.

1. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I was curious, if I were to sand down the back of my MIJ 62RI Pbass, is it going to affect it's resale value substantially? The bass already has some wear and tear, so I don't think anyone would be buying it for it's pristine beauty.

Also, I did a quick search, but could someone point me to a thread detailing how to do this? My neck is extremely glossy and I prefer more of a matte/smooth finish. I am thinking you just tape up the strings, rub it down with 0000 grit sandpaper and possibly apply some tungoil?

Thanks a bunch for your help, I realize this topic has been covered a lot.

2. I'd say resale will be affected, how much depends on how nice the bass is now & how nicely the sand-job is done. I'd just scuff it lightly w/some fine stuff(wait until you get a couple of replies as to specific grit- I've done this before but I was not concerned w/resale, also can't recall what I used). I wouldn't think you'd need to apply any further finish unless you removed all the finish & went down to bare wood- which I wouldn't do if you're only after a slightly-less glossy feel. That and using 0000 to fully strip the finish will take FOREVER.

3. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    thanks a ton

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, not to be a jerk, but its an MIJ reissue, why would you expect it to have good resale value in the first place? I honestly can't imagine that smoothing the neck is going to affect the value much at all. If it was a Ritter, then you'd have to do some thinking...

5. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Yea, I mean I don't play my basses for their resale value, I was more just curious how it affects things.

Any input on how to properly do this is greatly appreciated.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No problem Josh, I didn't mean to come across as rude, I just thought it odd that someone would be really concerned about resale on a mid-range bass! :D

Do you want to completely remove the finish, or are you more interested in making it smoother/faster with a satiny feel? If you just want to smooth it to the touch, you can try using the finest sandpaper you can get your hands on and work slowly and evenly. You should be able to find 800 grit locally at hardware stores. Once you have removed some of the sheen, you can then polish it back up with steel wool. No oil is necessary for this process. If you want to strip the finish entirely, post back as there will be other recommendations...

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    #0000 steel wool will give it a 'slight' satin that will feel less sticky and will eventually return to a smooth finish over time... On the ones that I have done, once the finish gets 'played' back in, it is less sticky than it originally was...

Super-Fine ScotchBrite also work well...

-robert

8. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!