Sanding Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Heh, well I was thinking, if I sand down the joint on the neck (4-screw bolt on, p-bass style, slightly wider, longer scale)) would this help to improve the action?

It doesn't seem to matter what I do! It's still impossible to get an action that is easy to play...

If I do do this, I wouldn't have to do the whole neck, would I?

I also have a Ebony board, and a Maple neck. (it seems really dark to be a rosewood, the grain comes out as a light brown) What oils could I use to try and speed up the neck?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4 parameters are important when it comes to action :
    - Neck curve, that you set with the trussrod.
    - String height at nut.
    - String height at bridge.
    - Neck tilting that can be adjusted by setting fixes in the neck pocket.

I have no idea what part of your bass you want to sand. :confused:
  3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I think he's talking about the flat part of the neck where it touches the body.

Less wood, so the neck sits lower in the cavity.
  4. Exactly what Maz said.

My neck is straight, and the saddles are low. It's just not easy to play.

Would sanding the flat part of the neck be ok?
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Before anyone can give you advice they've got to understand what your problem is. Your question is VERY unclear.

Exactly what is hard about the way that it plays? Be very specific! Are the strings too high? Does it buzz?

I can think of no reason to sand the neck. Why do you think sanding the neck will make it easier to play?

6. OK, with my bass, the action is hard to play. For instence, if you pick up a Fender, you can touch the strings and get a harmonic. With me, I have to use a hammer! ;)

I figured maybe taking a bit off of that area, the strings would be a bit lower again, maybe with better playability...

Then maybe an oil finish to try and speed up the neck...?

7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I strongly advise you NOT to sand the neck.

Any removal of wood in the neck pocket, either from the neck or the body, will make the strings still higher.

My advice would be to take your bass to a good repair person and let them help you get the problem sorted out. Good luck.

8. OK Pkr2, I won't touch it.

What about oil finishes? can these make my neck more 'slidey', to try imrpove my ability to move around on the neck..

thanks! :)
  9. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    M.B., this doesn't have anything to do with setup so I'll be real brief.

The only part of your hand that should be touching the back of the neck should be your thumb. No, oiling the back of the neck wont make you play faster. Have an experieced player check out your left hand technique.