Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanding off the gloss to put on oil

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Now, how would you go about this. I want to get that raw wood feel on a maple neck. But it currently has gloss on it. Would it be better to just leave it alone, or could I sand it down, and soak her with some linseed oil?

2. Would taking it down to a satin feel work?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not sure. I hear 0000 would be good for that. Might as well try that, and if I want to go farther, I guess I can. Any tips?

4. +1 Geoff...i received my wishbass (don't cringe, ok?) last august and it was hand painted lacquer :eek:

can you say "sticky"? yik!

I sanded down the back of the neck with 400 grit sandpaper and then finished it off with one those nylon scouring pads that are used for dishes...and it feels GREAT!

I still have to do something about the rest of the bass...I'm considering lighter fluid... :D ...nahhhh...just kidding...the bass has grown on me...

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    another vote for steel wool. I did that to a strat neck and it wurked well for me. Took some elbow grease though.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I might try satining it up, and not oiling it, so that way I won't expose the maple.

7. good idea...maple when stained by dirt is a BEAR to get clean...

8. My understanding of surface finishes is that they have to soak into the wood to work, so sanding off the varnish will change the wood appearance, but not open up its grain to take an oil finish.

You would need to attack it with a 'varnish dissolver', and then a 'varnish dissolver remover' before you will get the oil to soak into the grain to give you that oiled finish you are looking for.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, bearing that in mind, I will definitely be satining it. I'm heading to the hardware store.