1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sanding sand and sealer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tedstor, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ReRanch says to apply two coats of SS before primer.
    Its says to apply one coat, allow to dry, then sand with #220 before applying the second coat.
    How do I clean the dust off in between coats?
    I'm using Deft Laquer SS if that matters.

FWIW I tried to find the answer at Reranch, but the site was not working for me this morning. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm a rookie and don't want to fubar my first project.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Ted

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Get a tack rag, any paint or wood finishing store has them and most big box hardware centers have them in the paint section.

Also with 220, be very careful around sharp edges and any radius(rounded) areas, you will go right through to bare wood real easy.

I'd suggest practicing on a few scraps of wood. Practice applying the sealer and sanding between coats. Maybe stain the wood first so you can see where you rub through. The sealers job is to fill the porous areas of the wood to give you an even platform and equal paint/finish absorption.

With refinishing it is very important to keep your area clean. Especially after sanding. Sand the project, then remove it from the area, clean the table/bench then blow off the body in another area. Now tack rag it and make sure it is clean with a clean soft cloth or clean compressed air. Tack rag it again.

And always wash your hands or wear plastic or latex gloves to prevent contamination or body oil transfers to the project. And for God's sake, don't be eatin chicken while sanding!

3. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    After the body is sanded and prepped for the S&S application, I usually wipe the body with a rag wetted with naptha to remove any finger oils from the surface. I then will spray 2 coats of S&S, let dry over night. Level sand with 320, no shiny spots. Brush off the dust, lightly tag rag, then another wipe with naptha. Spray 2 more coats of S&S, let dry over night. Repeat the level sanding with 400 and cleaning process. Now you are ready to apply the coats of primer until the coloring is even, with full coverage.

Remember the nitro will burn into the previous coats of S&S, the level sanding needs to be as close to perfect(No shiny spots) before applying the primer. You will not be sanding the primer, unless you have some contamination on the surface. JMHO

4. Thanks for the replies. I was going to wipe down with denatured alcohol between coats, but I'll go with naptha and tack cloth.
    Great tips.

5. Ted, as mentioned, tack rags. Theres actually a product made for removing sanding residue an hand oil. I cant remembet the name anymore, we just called it zipshot back in the shops ive worked in ( auto custom paint )

Also, I ALWAYS use a guide coat on sanding primer. Basicaly mist on some contrasting color ( not a full coat, just mist ) and sand. Once you get the guide coat off, its for the most part ready to go. Helps to keep sanding more even, and keeps you sanding lightly on corners/curves.