1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sanding soon, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JoeVictim, Apr 20, 2011.

1. OK, Warwick refin is about to commence as soon as the poll closes and I get some tint. I know I have seen threads mention sanding with the grain. The problem is, my grain is all over. In places it looks flamed, quilted, and then just has random grain patterns within it all. for grain that runs like this: -l-, what, if any, is the best way to sand?

Progress thread to begin soon.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Depends on what your sanding goals are, removal of finish, rough sanding, fine sanding and wet sanding all differ somewhat.

May I also suggest not starting multiple threads on the same topic? ie, your bass. There are no specific rules, but it's generally considered bad form as most internet forums are already cluttered up with tons of similar threads. Just do your progress thread right into your poll thread, and maybe even ask a moderator to merge this one in there too...

3. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    Whatever you're sanding look good with a fine bright light to really see swirls and sanding marks. They are a pain to resand once you applied stain and see them, even worse once they really show up after a coat of finish has been applied.

Sand to 400 dry for bare wood.

Ask more questions once you get past that point

Good luck

4. You may suggest that, but people weren't responding to my questions. Starting a new thread, which there is no rules against, allowed me to pose a specific question relative to what I need an answer for, i.e. the purpose of an internet forum.

This would be for all the above. I will need to sand off finish, raise grain and sand, stain grain heavy, sand, apply stain to taste; apply poly, sand and repeat.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    This subforum moves much more slowly than others on this site and other sites. Be patient...

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Figure is not grain, you can sand anyway you desire, but if you want a good result, you will follow the grain. If you don't want to take that kind of time, you may be able to get by with a random orbit sander, but it's going to be a lot of work to get a proper quality for good dying surface.

7. OK, this. Thank you. I think it will be worth it to take the time and follow where the grain goes, however monotonous it may be. I know what can happen when you rush a refin.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Thus being one of the reasons not everyone can do this on a regular basis;)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021