Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sanding/touch-up help needed...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jul 15, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    hey guys,
    I'm still in the sanding stages on my bass, and I always seem to run into trouble when sanding the back outer edge of my bodies, and this one is no exception. I can't seem to get the little divots out, no matter how much I sand, with the grain. I'm planning to either stain the body a solid color (red) or leave it natural, but I'd like to hide/sand out these little divots and such as much as possible.............
    ........any advice??
    Does anyone else ever have this problem?? I don't understand why i can't get this outer edge to sand out as smooth as the rest of the body.

2. Whatcha got there is a little end grain tearout. Sanding, as you've found out, will get you pretty much nowhere because of the toughness of endgrain wood. I would suggest filling these and moving on. They are small in area and with the right filler should take a stain and finish well enough to disappear pretty well.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Ditto.

What grit are you sanding with and I assume you are doing it by hand? Load a piece of 120 onto your random orbital and see if you can't work it down that way.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Yeah, I've been doing it by hand using 100-150 grit. The wood down there just seems real ....coarse?? Almost kinda like tryin' to sand particle board or something. I hate end grain tearout! Once i get my orbital sander back from the girlfriend I'll try that.
    I think I just needed a new breath of patience :eyebrow: