1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sanding Your Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikedyermusic, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Has anyone sanded down their own neck? I hate having the gloss on the back of the neck on my Fender Jazz Bass, but I'm reluctant to do this myself. Let me know if you've done this yourself and if there's any risk involved doing it yourself rather than paying someone to do it for you.

2. Any gloss coated neck I've owned has seen a few quick passes of 400grit sand paper. You don't need to completely remove the finish, it's enough to just break the surface a little.

I would suggest using very fine sandpaper though (320-400).

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i use 600 wet & dry. easy like wipe'n yer butt! why pay?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You can also de-gloss with #0000 steel wool. Doesn't remove much of the top-coat, just enough to smooth things out. In time and with regular playing, the gloss will re-appear. Simply repeat the process.

Riis

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    All of the above work as do 3M Scotch Brite pads (I use the grey one when I use those) but mostly I've used 0000 steel wool and I'm careful not to get steel wool crumbs near the pickups (any crumbs can be removed with tape).

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    when i was in college i used to play my grabber about two hours a day and i think all of the alcohol and hot sauce in my sweat actually ate through the finish

7. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    Scotch Brite pads work great...very gentle way to do it.

8. After you've gently sanded the neck with any of the above methods, is it visible to the eye?

9. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've never used the Scotchbrite, but I'm sure they work well.
    I've done dozens of necks from a slight degloss all the way to complete refin.

I use 0000 steel wool, but a similar Scotchbrite won't leave metal shavings that pickups will attract.

But the slight removal is great because you can always repolish it.

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I held some doubt about the effectiveness of the Scotch Brite pad in removing the gloss, but it really works perfectly.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    yes,... you will notice the gloss has turned to satin. hold it up to light and the shine is now dulled.

12. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Once you do something like this you'll really start to feel it become "your" bass and not just another off-the-shelf product - putting a satin finish on a neck is a great place to start. You can do the whole bass if you want!:cool:

When you become really bold you can move on to decals, burn marks, paint, and (the mother of them all) personalized electronics.:D

13. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
  14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Bit by bit you upgrade your instrument to:
    :p 1) Your special bass,
    :p 2) Your vintage style bass,
    :p 3) Your very relic slyle bass,
    :D 4) A piece of useless wood which looks like it only just survived a major plane crash. :meh:

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It can be fixed...;)

16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I have. I suggest using the materials mentioned, applying long even strokes. I found that after a while a natural gloss may return, from use and body elements. Just go over it again. You should also know: after a few years the back of your neck may look blackened like Jaco's. Comes with the territory.

17. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    For some reason I have done this to most of my basses(def all fenders)..start at 400, go down to base wood...move to 800 to smooth finish...damp cloth to raise grain...sand again at 800...the final at 1000 grit...oil and this will be the best neck you have ever felt!!!