1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sanford And Sonny: Blubeard Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by katri, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ive read a couple reviews, watched the bassfuzz.com review and have decided i definately want one,
    But my problem is, how do i get my hands on one??
    i have emailed the email address given on the myspace but have not had a reply.
    is there someone else i should email.

Also any current owners what are your thoughts after owning one for a while

Thanks
    Dan

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Hahahahahaha.

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I believe what Optimus is refering to is the near impossibility to contact the company, so it would be best to search for one used. :)

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Near impossibility? I call it impossible. You have to make threats and file complaints. Then you get a call back full of apologies saying you'll get your pedal soon. 3 weeks later you still have nothing. Even though I've been told that he got a shipment of 10 pedals. And the bastard still doesn't return your calls.

Save yourself from getting angry and order a Supercollider or something.

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    ...or build a GGG muff for $65.

(Yes, it's not the same thing, but it's as close as you need it to be tonally)

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    +1. Make it look exactly the same too. Blue LED and Ric style knobs. Write some scribble on the bottom in Sharpie. No one will know the difference.

7. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1. I talked to KarateKid about this, he said the only difference was the lows were a little bit better and it had a bit more of a fuller sound but, he said it is pretty much the same. I plan on getting the kit once I get some more money and some time outside of college:bassist:

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That's what I did. You'll probably spend about 4 hours putting it together. Instructions were clear. You can always mix up some of the RC values to produce more lows. There are also some mods out there for it.

9. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Or ask someone to buy the kit and make it themselves and buy it from them.

10. how much/what difference is there between the GGG and the bluebeard??

11. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    From what people have said on here, what I've experienced with building/using the GGG muff, and what I've seen in SpankyPants' video demo: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38697022 I can say that there are subtle differences.

It's not as vast a difference as comparing the BlueBeard to the black Russian reissue...

Apparently, the BB is more low tone friendly than the GGG. If one were to dime the tone and sustain on the GGG, one would hear lots of high end snarl (and prob some feedback). It's a high treble gain...I replaced the diodes on my personal pedal to germanium diodes to make the tone warmer w/ better bass response. It allows the tone to sound more natural, but I need the sustain past 3:00 to get major snarl...

From what people have said on here and from what one can see on guts shots of the BB, there is one more electrolytic cap on there and a couple different resistor values, so it is different than the GGG...

So differences = price, size (if you go w/ GGG's smaller enclosure), you can design your own paint/design with GGG, different bass response, different knobs, different LED...

12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    These differences were not in the audio section of the circuit.

*If* the BB is effectively unavailable anyway, it's a moot point.

13. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Also, after you hear/watch SpankyPants' demo, you can see my demo on my MySpace page (in my sig below). I have a video up there on bass and g****r for the "GREEN STACHE". It's a GGG Muff.
    It sounds as close as it can to the BB. Spanky's using a different bass than I am and has far more superior skillz than I do.

Just order a GGG muff and build it on your own or have someone build for you! Unbeliever confirms the changes aren't in the audio circuit.

14. if the changes aren't in the audio part of the circuit the how does it make a difference to the sound?

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Atomic Music in Beltsville MD has them in stock for the 160.00 price I think. Sonny used to work there and they sell them for him.

But just buy the GGG Tuned muff. It's the same freaking pedal marketed as the Blue Beard for Sonny.

Jason at GGG (the one that builds them for Sonny) even told me via email it's the same pedal before it got back to Sonny and now that it threatens profits they are claiming otherwise.

16. now knowing that its not only similar but pretty much the same as the GGG, part of me still wants a Bluebeard-does that make me a bad person? on the other hand $100 saving is quite attractive. Can I get the same size enclosure and same knobs from GGG
    also what exactly is the difference in the circuit, is it purely different value caps and resistors or are there extra components?

17. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I did some digging on here, since we've talked about this a lot: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450447 -- it's 4 pages of stuff and there are pics of the guts, too...

one of our mods at bassfuzz.com has pics of the guts on page 5 of his review.

Just curious...if you know that they're so similar, why do you want to pay almost $100 more? You can get the knobs at Radio Shack or online from pedal parts/electronic places like smallbearelec.com or somewhere similar.

btw, waiting for a BB in England is gonna be an even longer wait than just ordering straight from JD at www.generalguitargadget.com.

18. I gotta stress that the pedals ARE NOT the same. I own both and have blind A/Bed them. The Bluebeard is the better unit with a fuller, more complete sound. Lower lows and clearer highs and just seems generally bigger sounding. The general overall tone is the same though. If you can't get a Bluebeard, I wouldn't worry too much and would just settle with the GGG.

Some Pics for reference:
    BeardGadget.
    BeardGadgetJacks.
    Gutshot.
    gadgetgutsclose1.
    beardgutsclose.

19. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    If yours was built using the same part values, it would sound exactly the same. There isn't any 'magic mojo' that can account for the difference.

Any chance of some samples of both? Just for interests' sake?

20. Showing off?

:)