Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanford & Son

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jbennardo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. They just don't make shows like that anymore....

And, did you ever stop to listen to the theme song? The bass track is sweet!

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Why don't you get some flour and put it on your face, and make some gorilla cookies

I'm gonna get a piece of paper, put it on your face so I can trace a picture of a moose.

You big dummy

3. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

That's Chuck Rainey.

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Other sources say it's Ray Brown on bass. Quincy Jones wrote it.

5. quincy jones

'nuff said

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Why was it it in the '70's TV shows, especially cop/action shows had amazing theme songs ?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That is so Chuck Rainey.

Brown did play some electric bass(sunburst Fender P on the old Merv Griffin Show)...not like what you hear on "The Sanford & Son Theme", though.

8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Well, I'm no expert, but from the blaxploitation.com website:

[​IMG]
    "Sanford and Son Theme (The Streetbeater) Quincy Jones A&M 1455-S, 1973
    Sanford and Son Theme (The Streetbeater) album cover

One of the acknowledged classic themes from the Quincy Jones stable, this cut features him in conjunction with the superb bassist Ray Brown on a superb junk funk number that should be a massive hit on any dancefloor. Yes, it came out on LP, but the 45's loud and proud. Highly recommended."

Could be that Ray Brown co-produced with Quincy?

9. Two TV themes that I've always liked for bass are:
    Barney Miller (1970's)
    Night Court (1980's)

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    In my book, Quincy gets 2000 extra cool points for just that song alone! Great TV show BTW too :D

11. I ain't afraid to give you one across the lips.

Tell him in Puerto Rican - "Goat-o, get out of el house-o."

Aunt Esther: Who you calling ugly, sucker.
    Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies.

Aunt Esther: Woodrow and I are going to have a baby.
    Fred Sanford: Well somebody better call the zoo.

Man, he was tough on Esther... You can't get away with that kind of humor in today's politically correct landscape.

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Alright who else started humming the theme song when they read the title of this thread..?

13. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I'm pretty sure Chuck played the Sanford and Son Theme. I am pretty sure I remember it being listed on his site as one of his. Also, Chuck definitely did a lot of playing on Quincy Jones stuff.

Ray Brown did do producing for Quincy Jones in that time period, for sure.

I heard Chuck tell stories about playing on a lot of sessions for Quincy that Ray Brown produced.

14. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks! That's good enough for me. I was wrong.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Midi Version, for kicks hehe

I used this as theme music for an auction website I run. Its our FAQ theme music cause we sell a lot of junk hehe.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    :D

Great theme song. I always wanted my college funk band to cover that one. We did a good Fat Albert though.

Marshall

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ray-Man...
    I'm no expert, I'm just old.

In '76, Rainey & Brown were my two favourite bassists...I used to rush home after school to catch Brown playing on The Merv Griffin Show; his P-bass playing was more in a URB vibe...straightahead, not Funk.
    Rainey was a master of those double stops you hear on tunes like "Sanford & Son", "Peg", "Josie", etc.

I have a Guitar Player mag from '76(still) with a pretty decent Rainey interview. I'm pretty sure he mentions "Sanford & Son".

To hear Rainey AND Brown on 1 track? Check out "The Theme To The Anderson Tapes". The EB groove is more vintage Rainey; Brown eventually takes over on URB.

I did dig out the You've Got It Bad Girl LP; no rhythm section credits(figures). What's great is I stumbled upon where I had my copy of I Heard That! This double album from '76 or so has never made it to cd. LP 1 has new stuff by Q...Rainey is on Side A(classy R&B/Soul Pop); Side B has THE TRACK, "Midnight Soul Patrol"...Alphonso Johnson is playing a fretless groove, Stanley & Louis Johnson do a bass solo/duel. Killer! I can't wait to dupe it onto a CD-R.
    I was resigned to the fact that I had lent this record out(in a drunken stupor) & couldn't remember who borrowed it!
    ;)

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sanford is a bad ass.

"I'm gonna mash your face in cookie dough and make gorilla cookies!"

19. Man, Barney Miller is one of the coolest bass lines I've ever heard. Absolutely love it.

Sanford rocks too, though. No doubt!

:D

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It that's not Chuck, it's someone who owes Chuck money;)

That's how "Chuck" that bass work is. Jamerson with doublestops. That's our Chuck:D