Sanity Check: AER Amp One with GK MBP112 powered cab...maybe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Oct 20, 2017.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    There are a few smaller venues I play at regularly that don't warrant bringing my TH-500/CN112s, but call for for a little more 'beef' than my sole AER Amp One provides. I've been thinking about pairing the Amp One with a Gallien Krueger MBP112 powered cab for these situations.

The Amp One has a 1/4" sub output rated at 0dB. The dilemma: From what I've read the MBP112 appears to 'like' a +10dB input signal.

After a little research I discovered that Radial makes a box with a variable boost that can increase signals up to a max of 17dB. I'm not an engineer, but it seems that inserting it between the Amp One and the GK would be a reasonable and portable solution. Appreciate any thoughts as to the feasability of this setup, Thanks.

2. You seem to have the gain problem solved but still there is the same potential cab mixing can o worms as adding a different cab to a regular bass stack.

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks for the comeback. Do you mean possible mismatch issues between a 10" driver and a 12" driver?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Bob Gallien very clearly recommends against it, so I wouldn't go there personally. It also needs a dedicated limiter to replace the one built into the G-K amps that are meant to drive the extension cabs, unless you don't mind it not working as the designer intended.

5. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks PW, that clarifies things well. It's a shame GK has taken such a proprietary route with their powered cabs. On to plan B, whatever that may be.

lomo and Nev375 like this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I do think it could potentially be a decent niche market, quite a few people have pitched me on the idea.

7. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Let me know if you decide to act on it. I'd be interested, Thanks.

Passinwind likes this.
  8. I have an Amp One as well. Sometimes I use a Bergantino IP112 with it. Works well with bass electric bass and baby bass.

FenderOli likes this.
  9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You could get a neused (new to you:)) combo.
    My BBII developed a noise right before I had a studio date. I jumped on an AER Basic Performer at near cost. It's so much more amp in performance than the BBII. No shaming the BBII it's amazing.
    Just saying if you don't mind having multiple sizes of rigs around (this is TB).

10. GK really puts a lot of roadblocks in the way with these things. Because of that it's almost impossible to find anyone that has ever actually used one. I personally was not willing to be the guinea pig.

11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Phil Jones has a 250w PB300 powered cab that might suit your needs.
    Right at $1000 though so that's a fair bit more coin than the GK you were looking at.

I too think GK missed an opportunity here. I'd love to go straight from a pedal board into a powered cab and not have to lug a separate head or rack too. I know GK came out with the Plex, but i'd rather have the options of an even nicer pedal preamp and separate compressor unit.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks all for the input. I'd prefer to avoid the $1000+ needed for the Berg or PJB if possible. Another option I've given thought to is a standard (and portable) powered 12" pa sub for the situation. There are few that might work for less cost but opinions vary on their sound for a live bass application.

13. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
  15. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
  16. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Its frequency response is 49Hz-135Hz (-3dB) and it offers selectable Low Pass at 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz. These haven't been out for long so there aren't many reviews available yet.

17. I haven't used one of these as a dedicated bass amp, but we have used them as part of our p/a. In my experience, they are under powered and reach their clean performance limits long before they reach what we needed them to do. We typically rent a sub for our gigs and sometimes, the YX10sp is all they have left at L&M. We have gotten by using them, but really prefer the bigger more robust subs.
    Fishheadjoe

18. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks. I've definitely moved on from the YX10SP option. Also I'm a little concerned that a sub, while full sounding, might not have the punch of a dedicated bass cab. The problem: There aren't many being manufactured currently.

19. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    For anyone interested - I'll be trying out one of the Bag End PS10N-N 10" powered cabs within the next week. Hoping it plays well with the AER. Not cheap, but hopefully a final solution.