Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp bass D.I.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    has anyone used one...
    how is it..are the sound capabilities as good as its said to be..
    because for 300 bucks reviews make it sound like it can change your whole sound a whole lot more attractive.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got one, it's great, but I like the sound of my GK rig better, so I'm offing it. The sound capabilities are better than they say, it sounds amazing!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the sans amp di is an intereting box
    it kind of matters how the amp you use sounds too - if you're using a relatively "sterile" sounding amp like an SWR, the sans amp will "beef up" your tone considerably. You can also jack up the presence control and set the drive control wher it just begins to clip and get a reasonably convincing geddy lee/live at leeds/aggressive tone. There are a lot of other options but those are the ones i use the most. I've used it as a stand alone preamp before, but it's not the best sounding.
    I dont't think i'd sell mine, but you have to treat it like an effect. IMO

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    awesome...
    if i had a yorkville xs400h...how would i hook the sansamp up to it..im a complete moron when it comes to connecting a rig.

5. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    btw...how much are u selling it for?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bass - sans amp - amp
    that's how ya do it

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Read my PM.

8. I carry one in the bag, even though I don't use it with my primary rig (Kern IP-777/QSC PLX2402/Ampeg 410). I keep it for emergencies and for gigs that are backlined. On backlined rigs (unless it's something I know like an SVT), I set the EQ on the amp flat (or bypass it if possible) and use the Sansamp for tone.

-- busmandan --

9. at 135.00 is a much more versatile pedal and it has a mid control to boot. Every bass player I know is ditching their Sansamps to get one. I use mine just as a boost to enhance parts and for the distortion. Haven't used it as a DI yet but I prefer to use the XLR out of the back of my SVT-CL. I played a gig the other night and had to use someone else's rig because my bands van broke down with all our gear. The bass player in the other band told me not to mess with the eq (which she had duct taped to keep it where she liked it) so I used my M80 to eq the amp to get the sound I wanted and when we were done her guitar player asked me what I'd done to make her amp sound (Peavey MK4 and a Fender 18 I think) so good.

I'll never play another gig without it.

10. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well if i hook the pedal up to my rigg...will i still be able to use the eq on my head.?
    are these preamps just ways to get ur sound just the way u want it?

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You can still use the EQ and all of the effects on your head. I use mine all of the time with my SWR. The SWR by itself is sterile sounding - I use the SABDDI with the blend at about 1 o'clock, so it adds the tube emulation (thus warming the sound) while retaining the clarity the SWR provides. I think it gives me the best of both worlds. Or.... I can turn it on full, crank up the drive and let er rip for that SVT-esque tone :bassist: !!!

12. I used it in a situation where I was asked not to change the set tone of amp but the tone that was set wasn't working for me. I like alot of low end and mid and there was neither of that. The pedal will add additional frequencies to your amps eq. If you can't get a decent sound with decent gear something is wrong. To me, a pedal should only enhance your tone, not create it.

I play a MIM Classic Jazz thru Ampeg SVT-CL & an Avatar B212 and with that I only use the M80 to make certain parts jump out and I try to use it sparingly because my amp sounds great without it. With the distortion, I set the gain @ 12 o'clock and the blend @ 10 or 11 o'clock to get some gnarly grind, not full on fuzz. I kick it in like a guitar player would a delay or additional distortion to make a solo stand out. I'd recommend try both and see what you like.

I'll tell you what, it did make my 60 watt solid state Fender Frontman sound a heck of alot better than it usually does but there is no comparison to that and my 300 watt tube SVT. With that pedal I may use the Frontman to record with instead of dragging my live rig into the studio.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I originally purchased mine to use as a DI into my mixer for recording. For that purpose it's adequate, but is a bit lacking in clarity, punch, and tone. I could see myself getting another DI or preamp more suited for that.

As a stomp-box, and DI to PA, I can see how the BDDI makes good sense. It does give a thicker, more full sounding tone with judicious use of the controls, but it is not really a perfect substitute for a tube preamp or head.

My Ampeg SVT 3 Pro has a much smoother sounding tone than the Sams Amp BDDI. If you take the blend and drive controls up too much, it doesn't sound pleasant any more, a bit of solid state nastiness shows up.

As a way to fatten up a sterile-sounding solid state head, it has a lot going for it.