1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sans amp Bass DI & Which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicman5strng, Apr 29, 2006.

1. musicman5strng

musicman5strng

Mar 28, 2005
    Anyone out there run a the tech21 sans amp bass DI though a power amp for their rig?

Currently I am running it from the effects return in my amp, thus my head is only being used as a power amp, and the sansamp as a preamp. From there, the soundman will take the DI from the sansamp. Very happy with the sound.

Wondering if maybe I should grab a power amp to gain some headroom(my amp now is 300watts), keep using my current setup or maybe there is a head out there that you may know of that really compliments the sansamp.

Just curious to see what other users are doing.

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Sansamp makes for a great direct box and can really work wonders as a tone section in front of a power amp. I've done this from time to time when I didn't want to haul my huge rack and have been satisfied with the results. In terms of heads, it's been my experience that the Sansamp can make for a good stomp box if you want to add some grit or drive to the signal, but overall I don't think it really does much to necessarily "improve" tone of a quality head. I've used it for some alternate sounds that I can't get with the fat tube warmth of my Alembic preamp, but I don't find that I rely on the Sansamp for my regular sound.

Lonnybass

3. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I'm using the programmable bass driver into a Carvin DCM 1000 power amp into a GK410 cab. Sounds great. The programmable has a boost feature for driving the inputs of power amps. I like the 3 presets available and the sansamp does clean and tube real well.