Sans Amp Bass Driver DI V.S Sans Amp RBI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PorphyaPlayer14, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Sans Amp Bass Driver Di

26 vote(s)
  2. Sans AMP RBI (same model but rackmount version with extra feautres)

14 vote(s)
  1. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Well these two models are pretty much the same. But at first I was thinking of getting the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI which is a pedal, and then I came upon the new Sans Amp RBI which is the same model as the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI but has a bit more feautures, its more expensive, and its a rack mount version. What do you guys think should I go the extra mile and get the Sans Amp RBI or stick to the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. The extra feautres that the RBI model has is that of course it is a rackmount but it also features a dedicated Mid control; individual Level control for the XLR out to optimize your amp's output relative to the P.A. system; Effects Loop; Mix 50/50 switch to configure the Effects Loop in series or parallel; 1/4" rear input and XLR output with select- able levels; buffered uneffected XLR output to run a dry signal to a separate channel; Footswitch input to engage unit; and Footswitch output to chain and toggle between another SansAmp RBI.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The pedal. Mostly because it's so handy to bring to a rehearsal, to a recording session, take home with you for practice, etc. I often only bring a bass and the Sansamp to rehearsal and hook up to our PA, and skip the amp alltogether.

You may also want to check out the MXR M-80 Bass DI+ as it has more features than the Sansamp. I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for the sound though.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This should be in the Effects forum, not Basses.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think it depends on how you want to use it. If you are going to use it as a permanent preamp for a power amp, I would get the rackmount. I have the DI and wish it had a mid control, but I like the convenience of the smaller pedal.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I second the notion that the pedal is more portable. I went into the studio a few months ago, strapped my bass in my gig bag over my shoulder, brought along a few cables, and the Sans Amp DI. Everything fit in my gig bag.

But, I think the RBI has a feature or two that the SABBDI doesn't have...if only I could remember what that was...
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have both, thw sans amp is light years ahead to my ears. the m80 has great drive though, so I use it for that.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thank you, Blisshead, I was wondering how the MXR compared to the SABDDI.

As for the original question: I was considering an RBI so I wouldn't have to worry about dead batteries/wall wart/security (my first SABDDI was stolen), but I decided to stick with just the pedal, partly because I filled my empty rackspace with an Aphex 204.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I also have the RBI, which is my preamp. I bought it from Schwinn actually. It's a great pre-amp, I like the mid control and routing options.
  9. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi there,

I´m thinking about buying one of these, but I´m a bit confused about the "footswitch to engage the unit" thing. In other words, do you use a footswitch with your RBI? :help:
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have both the BDDI and RBI. I use the BDDI to preload my Eden combo. The RBI is rack mounted with a RNC compressor, Sonic Maximizer, and Crest poweramp....and then the whole mess is thrown into an Acme B-4. I like the added mid control of the RBI.
  11. i have an RBI and I love it! it will be my main power amp until I can afford an Eden navigator...they're very versitle little machines...incredible peice of equipment for a tiny bit of money!!!

and as far as the footswitch thing...thats for if you have two of em, you can switch back and forth...kinda like an A/B box
  12. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    the footswitch is also used for turning the preamp on and off if you are using it in an fx loop as a drive generator. thats how i use it.