Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frengo, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Frengo

Frengo

Nov 2, 2003
    Hi! I am about buying an used Sans Amp Bass Driver DI in order to get a more "tube-like" sound from my Music Man HD-500. Do you think it's a good idea using that as a pre and linking it directly to my amp? Are there other ways to do that, with other preamps or stompboxes?

The one I found is the first model, the one with inside settings. Except for the on-off switch (which is only on the second model), does anyone know if there are other differences?

Thank you very much...
    Excuse me for my english! :)

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There are plenty of boxes that will 'enhance' your tone - from full on effects to devices to model particular combinations of classic amps and speakers. However, the SABDDI is a good choice - I've found mine to be solid, dependable and easily portable.

Will you get a chance to try it with your equipment before spending your money?

Wulf

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't know about the different revisions, but my BDDI is a very nice unit and I like it a lot!

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have a Bass Driver DI hooked directly to my amp (SWR SM-500) via the effects loop. Since my amp has an effects blend knob, I can get a great sound by mixing my signals.

I've never used the SABDDI but I heard it sounds good as well.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Great little box, it's always in my gigbag. Depending on your power amp, this box may not put out enough juice to get your amp to full power. Aside from that, it sounds great, and sends a great signal to the board or effects loop. I have used it for live and recording purposes, and it has performed like a champ. Also, since it runs on phanton power, I don't have to worry about batteries as much.

6. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

First I'll say that it is advisable to see the difference between the Sans Amp Bass DI (old version) and the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI (new version)...

I have had this little Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass DI (SABDI) for a while. I found it very handy to get a good sound when going direct to mixer. This SABDI comes with XLR-output with effect, 1/4" parallel output without effect and an 1/4"-input. This means that you may not use this box in front of your bass amp, only when going direct to mixer or direct to a power amp. Sorry! :(
    I'll recommend you to read http://www.amstadt.com/tblarchive/VOL1/500-599/bl592.html#9 to get a grip of all the features of the SABDI.

I then sold the SABDI when I bought the newer version, the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI (SABDDI). This one have a 1/4"-output with effect together with all the other inputs and outputs and it has all the sound tuning knobs outside the box.

So, I'll guess that you want to buy the SABDDI instead of the SABDI to meet your requirements (setting up the box in front of your bass amp).

/MrBaloo

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    With my box, it seemed that if it had a battery in, it would use that regardless of any other power source (phantom power or external power adapter) - mine started to play up about a month ago, despite being plugged in but has been fine ever since I removed the battery!

Not a big problem - I just leave the battery out and everything is groovy - but worth being aware of if the unit starts to switch itself off after a couple of minutes even when plugged in to an external power source.

I think the DI can actually work in passive mode anyway - at the gig it died on, the sound guy didn't come over to say that he had no bass coming to the mixer... so it may just be the tone shaping that relies on the power supply.

Wulf

8. I haven't been too impressed with the SABDDIABBDIA (the new one), I tried the MXR Bass DI+ (cool EQ but horrible distortion), and have finally settled on the SansAmp Tri-AC.

Great pedal, 3 distinct programmable tones in one unit. Gives me SVT, Bassman and overdriven SVT tones that are pretty damn convincing, either direct to a desk or into an amp. Can even dial in a great Rat pedal sound (keeping the bass! :D ). Only downside is that the 3-band EQ is voiced more for guitar (125/800/3500).