Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phaneo, Mar 14, 2001.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    What I'm wondering is if I get a SABDDI and run it just like a stomp box; meaning guit.-pedal-head(active imput) will I get a little bit of both? Or will my head's settings be bypassed and only the DI box settings be what I hear? I am using a Hartke HA4000 and I love the sound I get, but I have heard so many great things about the SABDDI that I just have to have one. I know it will beef up my sound, but I don't want to scratch what I've allready got. I want to enhance it. Anyone......
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm curious too and also was bitten by the bug.

I ordered one last week, should be here any day, probably tomorrow!

Guess I'll just have to test it out and see what I can do with it. People seem to have almost 100% great feedback on them though.

I also will be using it as a stompbox for now. Maybe if we are both getting one, we can post some impressions soon. :)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

seamus- Make that reservation for three. I was surprised the Fed Ex guy didn't show up with mine from Bass NW Wed.

What did you guys pay? I paid $174.50 (incl. shipping).
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    cool man!

including shipping, my total is $166.50 for this box

hope it gets here today, I really want to hear it :)
  5. phaneo - your head still affects the sound if you run it how you described. if the head has two inputs, and you'd like more of your amp's natural tone to shine through, try running the affected out from the BDDI to the active input and the parallel dry signal to the passive input.
  6. I got mine from Guitar Center for $149.99. I told the sales guy that I was gonna find the best deal online, and he said "lets see if you can beat this" and quoted me that price! So a week later I went back up there and snagged it!

Have fun with yours :)!
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Ack! I'm so sad :(

The @##$ shipping company did not deliver my DI today but it was supposed to be reaching me. They even said it's on the truck but the slacker never showed.

Now I'm jonesin for it all weekend and have to wait for Monday. I hate Mondays...
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to the board, man!

A great thing about the SABDDI is that if you choose to use it as a stomp box between your bass and your amp, it will work in conjunction with your amp's internal preamp.

Conversely, if you wanted to actually bypass your amp's internal preamp, you could just run a plug from the "out" jack of the BDDI into the "return" of the amp's effects loop.

The choice is yours.

One thing I wouldn't recommend, and this is according to Tech21, not me, but you SHOULD run it between your bass and amp instead of in the effects loop.
  9. And it is rackable?
  10. No, but Sansamp is releasing a rackmount version sometime soon (April or so...) with a MID-control.
  11. Ooooohhhhhh! Do you know how much it will cost? I could use my birthday money. :D
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    This is my first effect, I received it on Monday. I like it a lot, it's a good signal supplement, I am using it like a stompbox right now.

I have a SS head, but the tube emulation on it sounds pretty darn good. I make the Sans Amp blend about 50% so I get some tube emulation from both the head and the Sans Amp. It sounds good that way to me.

The only problem I have encountered is that my L-2000's are too hot for the Sans Amp. I will use it for all my basses except those. I fault the Sans Amp, not the bass for this discrepancy though.

Personally, I like that the L-2000 pups are hot as hell.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So now we all know. L-2000's are too hot for SABDDI's. You know, you'd better hope they're not too hot for the front end of your amps, too. If it were me (and it isn't), I'd go inside the L-2000 and turn down the heat. Not a single one of my seven basses (six active, Fender, Music Man, Lakland and Pedulla) overdrives my BDDI. Hmmmm ... maybe it IS the G&L.
  14. I got a solution. I went back to the music store yesterday and was discussing this "problem" with the guitar tech.
    He was telling me that adjusting the trimpot will only affect the output of the G&L's preamp...and this problem happens in passive mode as well, so the "turning down the heat" isn't really possible. Like everyone else, he's never seen a problem with the SABDDI. So then another tech suggested lowering the pickups. So we did that and it helped alot. That coupled with the fact that I need to play with a softer touch. With those two changes, the SansAmp isn't distorting anymore...unless I really dig in. And that's cool because that can add some cool dynamics to a song. So I can choose where I want to overdrive the SansAmp.

Well...problem solved. This may not work for everybody, but it works for me.
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Praise god, whatever you perceive it to be.
  16. :rolleyes:

Are you somehow offended that I had a problem with your beloved SansAmp?
  17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  18. I've had bad tones out of the BDDI too - later realised it was an electronic buzz in the P-Bass' electronics which was being amplified by the BDDI.

Certain frequencies will be boosted more than others, depending on the settings (yeah, i know, it's self-evident ...) and the other equipment, and playing style, etc.

Anyway - this box kicks SO much ass :)

Munji - aren't you being a little aggro there?

Seamus - good first choice. Because it's not as "weird" as flange / phase , etc, and is so well designed, and can be really subtle and versatile, I've found i use my Sans Amp BDDI alone more than everything in my Korg AXB multi-effect unit put together.

Could be the honeymoon period :) but i don't think so.

I use mine as a stomp-box too, Pez, and a DI for live gigs. This way the amp colours the stage sound and the BDDI takes care of the PA sound (when it's on).
  19. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I just got my SansAmp and really like it, but the manual sucks. I want to use an external A/C adapter, but the manual doesn't specify voltage, polarity and loading. Anyone have this info?
  20. Standard 9v DC works for me .. anything more than that is rocket science.

The manual says:

9V DC regulated or unregulated, 100mA minimum.
    2.1mm female plug, center negative (-).

hope this helps.