Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp Bass Driver revisited...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RAM, May 15, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As many of you know, I am the proud owner of the Sans Amp Bass Driver. For those of you who are also owners, perhaps you can provide some wonderful insight.

Anyway, my setup is Spector (18 volts)==>Bass Driver==>Fafner.

I use the SABDDI primarily as an effect rather than as a DI box, and like the idea of distortion. However, my bass runs so hot that I've found in order for me to get a really good crunch, I have to reduce the load coming out of the SABDDI to crank the distortion and presence. What this does is to produce a pretty good distortion, but it sounds a bit too compressed. Have any of you experienced this?

What have you done to correct the problem?

I don't want to lower the input gain on the Fafner because when I'm not using the SABDDI, I'm afraid I won't be giving the Fafner an ideal amount of signal.

2. well, true distortion basically IS compression. do you have experience with other ODs that sound better to you? how does the sansamp sound live?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have much experience with overdrives. I did try out a Marshall rack unit that's actually designed for guitar some years back, but didn't want to go that route.

I'm just afraid that too much output from my bass means that the SABDDI doesn't have enough "headroom" prior to the preamp stage of my amp. But, I wasn't even sure if I was on the right track with this. Am I?

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    RAM, I get mine on the 22nd, so perhaps I can add something useful after that. Regarding the hot input, that seems to be the problem I've had with my Fulltone Bass Fulldrive 2. To get the best sound out of my Lakland, the preamp is maxed out. I've never been able to get a good sound out the the Fulldrive with either Lakland I've had. The same story with my 18v. Roscoe. My 9v. Roscoe however sounds great with it, as does my 9v. Rapture. There must be some correlation. BTW, I am extremely happy with the Fulldrive, I am getting the SABDDI for my passive basses, and as a gig back-up.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ??????????

The whole idea of using an onboard preamp is that the tonal balance is the same regardless of volume setting (unlike passive setups). It should NOT sound "better" by cranking the volume!!??

Geez, why are so many people afraid of using their volume knobs?

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Brian, the reason I did it was at Lakland's recommendation. My 1st dlx55 was a maple board with weak output and minimal punch. I talked to the folks at Lakland and they recommended maxing out the preamp and running the volume full open, making volume changes at the amp. I agree this is not optimal during gigs. I ended up selling that Lakland, and replacing it with a rosewood board dlx55, problem solved, plenty of output and bass (punch). However, I did leave the preamp nearly maxed as they did say the bartollini PUP version sounds best that way. I do make my volume changes with the volume knob. Still, my Roscoes have more of the Pbass vibe I like so they see more use, especially the 9v. SKB 3005.

7. Well, a reason to max out the volume might be hiss. For instance, my Ergodyne's preamp hissing level doesn't depend on the volume knob, but does depend on the Hi EQ knob, so I like to turn volume as high as possible, to get higher signal-to-noise ratio, especially when I play through overdrive that amplifies the hiss. If I max out volume on the bass and add a little gain on the ODB, I get the same amount of overdrive as I would having low bass volume and maxed out gain, but without the hiss that would be terrible in the latter case.
    After all, isn't the better signal-to-noise ratio one of the primary reasons why active basses were developed? Stronger signal going through cables... If I plug in a high-sensitivity input and back up the volume to avoid input clipping, I get noticeable hiss, when I plug in a lower-sensitivity input with more bass volume, I hear no hiss.
    Sorry if it's banal.