Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp BDDI help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by level_1, Dec 30, 2004.

1. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I recently bought a Sans Amp BDDI and hadn't had a chance to check it out until today. I am playing through it with a Yamaha TRB-5II and going into a Yorkville 200W combo. I set my onboard preamp and the Yorkville flat. I really love the tones I was getting. I tried all of the settings that are listed in the booklet. When I used any setting where the Blend or Presence was to the right of 12 oclock I got fuzz. While not playing it is quite loud. I am sure that when I use it tonight with the band it will be OK while playing. However, I play in a church group and when we aren't playing it will be heard. The more Presence and/or Blend I use the louder the "fuzz" gets.

Any suggestions? I was happy with my tone before I got this thing. Now I am really happy with all the tones I can get, except for the fuzz, white noise, whatever it's called.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What are you using to power it? Does it do it on battery power AND electic adaptor? Have you tried different patch cables?

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Try turning the level down and see if it's still there. You may be overloading your input to your amp. Second, many people don't use their BDDI's blend past 11 o'clock. Finally, try turning down the far right knob (the name has slipped my head right now).

4. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    Battery powered only with new battery. New patch cable. I will try another battery and a different patch cable. I will also make sure the drive nob isn't over 11.

Thanks for the ideas.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have the same set up: BDDI > Yorkville 200T. It is possible to overdrive the preamp section of the Yorkie. Try this for starters:

Run the BDDI output directly into the "Effects Return" of the Yorkie. This, in essence, bypasses the preamp and tone controls. The BDDI has a relatively low ouput but you can still manipulate the volume by adjusting it's "Level" control. Is the white noise / fuzz still present? If so, the problem lies with the BDDI and not the Yorkie.

Here's my favorite all-purpose BDDI / Yorkville setting:

Level - 12:00
    Blend - 5:00 (100%)
    Treble - 11:00
    Bass - 1:00
    Drive - 1:00 to 2:00
    Presence - No higher than 10:00 (I don't care for the effect)

Volume - 10:00 to 12:00
    Bass - 12:00
    Low Mid - 12:00 to 1:00
    High Mid - 10:00
    Treble - 12:00
    Scoop / Contour - No higher than 11:00 ( steals mids)

Good luck! Let us know if any of this works.

Riis

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'm quite fond of this setting--

Blend - 11
    Bass - 10
    Treble - 8
    Drive - 1
    Presence - 7

All these numbers are "o'clocks". I use it for my stingray and my P. I boost the bass a little more for the P, but that's basically my setting. I'm quite embarassed to admit how long it took me to find that setting.

7. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I ran to the effects return line and everything is hunky dorey. I am very pleased with the tone I have now. I can't remember the exact settings but it is close to the tube amp facory settings. I used it Sunday at church and love it. I can wait a while now before looking for a new amp. Thanks for all the help.