Sans-Amp+Decent Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Is there any point on using a Sans-Amp on a good bass (besides the distortion)? Does it only make crappy gear good?
  2. IMHO:

SansAmp + poor gear = mediocre sound

SansAmp + mediocre gear = good sound

SansAmp + good gear = amazing sound !! :) :)

There are, I suppose, always exceptions, but I really would struggle to think of a bass/amp combination which WOULDN'T benefit from a sprinkling of the old SansAmp "fairydust". :smug: :smug:

Having said all of that, I am very aware that there are others around here who would beg to differ, so make your decision based on what you hear with your ears and NOT what you read here. :) :)
  3. You're not serious are you?? :confused: :confused:

I have yet to encounter another bassist who doesn't know what a SanAmp is. :D :D
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A sansamp is merely a preamp, that will model the sound of any gear, making it neither better nor worse. Just different.

You can make bad gear sound pretty good, and certainly make great gear sound bad.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I, like Joshua, didn't know what a Sans-Amp was. Glad to know there's no reason for me to GAS over it. :p

6. That, of course, is *your opinion* and Post #2 reflected mine. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm actually debating using my SABDDI instead of my Avalon U5 for my preamp/DI. Sounds crazy, I know, bu tat a gig last night I liked the sound I was getting with the BDDI better than my Avalon U5.

Always, always, always listen and buy with your ears, not your eyes or others opinion.
  8. ++1. :)