Sans Amp drive problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aaron f., Jun 10, 2002.

1. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    The Sans Amp is a great unit, but since replacing my stock pickups in my MIM Jazz with Barts i find that unless i solo the bridge pickup and crank the drive knob i can't get a distorted signal. With the neck pickup or both i get almost no distortion at all. I don't remember having the same problem with the stock pickups, is it because Barts are known for a lower output signal? Both the Sans Amp and amp's volume are at the same level (I run it as a stomp box but have also run it into my effects return). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    yah, your output is too low. I have the opposite problem, where I can clip it with drive at 0, because I have a hot bass... you need a buffer of sorts to boost the signal first
  3. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Since i use the Sans Amp as a pre-amp i don't think i'll be getting another to boost the signal, any ideas? can i modify the drive value on the Sans Amp so that it clips at a lower signal without gutting it?
  4. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    silly question #1 - is your battery OK ? if you run it off a supply is there still a problem ?

sorry - that was a bit basic, but though it was worth checking :)

odd though - even the weakest signal i can give it (a fender VI) still runs mine into distortion....have you tried a different sansamp in case it's a faulty unit ?

5. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Yeah the battery's fine i should have mentioned it in the post, i doubt the units faulty though because it worked fine with the stock pickups, i'll fiddle with it some more and see if i can find anything.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A high percentage of bass players use an active on-board pre-amp with Bart. pickups. Something you may want to look into...

It sounds like the output on your bass just isn't hot enough to overdrive the sansamp.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A fairly simple and cost effective solution would be to install, or have installed, a series/parrallel switch on the bass. A small toggle switch will be added or if you don't want to alter the control plate, you could replace the tone pot with a push/pull pot designed for this purpose.

Jazz basses are traditionally wired in parrallel. This gives you the best clarity. When wired in series, jazz PUs are much hotter in output, but dirtier. The switch gives you the option of both. IMO, a must have mod for a jazz bass.

I am sure the PUs would distort in series.

8. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    There are way too many different kinds of Bartolini Jazz bass pickups.

In the Bassplayer magazine Jazz bass pickup shootout, they mentioned that BArts have a low output compared to other pickups.

I would raise them to increase output.

There are theoretical concerns regarding magnetic pull and damping and reduced sustain, but I would wager that the magnets in your pickups aren't the most powerful, and on top of that, Jazz bass pcikups are pretty narrow apeture.

I use trimmed mouse pads (I had to come up for *some* use for the old ones!) to raise my pickups if there is no bezel.
  9. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    How about a used e.q. pedal before the sans amp. This could be a cheap way to raise your output level enough to distort your signal.
  10. A used, cheap eq pedal would color the sound in an undesireable way, possibly making the tone too terrible for the sansamp to fix.
  11. Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    its wierd I have the same thing happening with mine. with my fender (mine is still stock and 5 string) I get very little distortion compared to the other basses I have, but the most noticeable distortion I get is with my 6 string Alvarez with Bart J's and a 2 band eq even with the eq set flat I get good distortion. But I also run mine as an effect not as my preamp so that might also have an effect on it