sans amp mod... anyone ever done it with good results?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 31, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I sent an email to Tech 21 to see if i could use a sabddi to drive a power amp. Here is the response:

You shouldn't have any problem driving a 600
    watt power amp with the Bass Driver DI (as opposed to 1600 watt amps,
    which require a hotter input signal). Our newest version of the Bass
    Driver has a switch that allows you to get line level (0dB) from the XLR
    Output. If you buy an older unit second hand, let us know and we'll
    show you which resistor to unsolder from the circuit board to
    permanently modify the pedal. (It's near the XLR, with arrows pointing
    to it: >[]<)

Thus, I did a search on TB on this mod and thought some of you might find it interesting:

According to Lloyd Schwartz at Tech21, the SansAmp can be modded so that its XLR output can put out up to +4 dBu, which is enough to drive a PLX 2402 to full power.

Here's what he wrote to me:

When you remove the back cover of the Bass Driver, you'll see a "black box".
    Just to
    the right of its lower right corner, there's a resistor surrounded by two
    It looks like this:

>O< (except it's square)

Remove it, and you're done!

BTW, the resistor is an SMT type (a small black rectangular shape].
    Originally posted by aaron f.
    If I remove the resistor will the only effect be a larger signal output, any change in tone or volume etc...? Can I risk damaging anything by running the modified sansamp into a mixer? Just curious. Is there any soldering involved or is it a simple snip job? Thanks for the tip

Well, a larger signal is a boost in volume. I don't know for sure if it'll affect tone, but probably not.

If the mixer can take line-level inputs, you shouldn't have any problems, as long as you or the sound person adjust the mixer's input gain properly.

I haven't seen the resistor myself, but assuming you don't have special SMT sodlering and desoldering equipment, the best way to remove an SMT resistor is with two hot soldering irons. Grab the resistor at both ends with the soldering irons and hold it for a couple seconds while the solder melts, then lift the resistor off the board. Make sure you don't make a short circuit on the board by smearing the solder; if you do, touch it up with a soldering iron, and use some desoldering braid to absorb the excess if necessary.

Has anyone done this mod? Were the results thumbs up?
  2. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I did it with mine and it works great. It is my backup rig in case my amp fails. I can yank this out of my cord case and use one side of the monitor amp and i'm in business.