Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp PSA-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Jan 30, 2001.

1. 4String_Ninja

4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sans Amp PSA-1 for my main preamp. But I'm not sold yet. I had ordered an ampeg svp but when I got the first one it had a terrible buzz. The I sent it back for a new one and it also had a buzz. (rediculous) So I'm now looking toward the PSA-1. Any feedback appreciated.

Dillon

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've read the hype on the PSA-1, and it sounds pretty groovy to me. Doesn't it list for about $800? So maybe you could get a new one for $500. For that money you could get a good used Navigator. No-brainer.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've actually had a lot of retailers (!) talk me out of it, which is especially surprising!

And, I remember that Bass Player did a "shootout" of preamps under $1,000 a few years ago and claimed that the PSA-1 was thin sounding. Others have told me that it's better for studio use than live use. But, these are opinions. You should still try it out...you may find that your tone(s) lurk inside the PSA-1. It IS a pretty cool unit, after all!

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I haven't gotten my hands on one of these, but I want to. I do know of a bass player who uses one as his distortion/overdrive unit. He plays through 2 Eden WT-800 (is there anything those amps can't do?), so he didn't need it as a preamp, but he has a good distortion sound. I don't know if that's what you're planning on doing with it, but I just thought I'd share.

Good luck with the search, and please give us a review of the PSA-1 if you get it.

-Nails