Sans Amp RBI as Pre amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phaneo, May 26, 2004.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    OK I obviously don't know a lot about this so I'm here. I have a SABDDI and was thinking of getting the RBI. I was looking over some postings and saw that a lot of you use both of them as a preamp. What exactly is a preamp. I am playing an Ibanez SDGR 500 into my SABDDI then directly into my active input on my Hartke HA4000. I am having a real hard time getting a good tone. Is this how it should be run? So if I use either one as a preamp, does that mean I should zero out all my settings on the Hartke and strictly use the Sans amp. I guess that's where I'm confused. Is a preamp supposed to be the source for your tone? Any help is appreciated.
  2. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The 'Gain', 'EQ' and any drive controls you have on your head is a preamp, it shapes and boosts your tone for the poweramp.

The Sansamp can be source for your tone if you want. You COULD plug into the 'Effects Return' on your head, that way you would bypass all of the tone controls and gain on your Hartkes preamp, and use the sansamp.

I use a preamp pedal (An MXR M80 DI+, similar to the sansamp) the same as you are now, inline, from the preamp on my bass, and into the preamp on my amp. This can cause unwanted muddyness, so you might want to try the first idea.

You can also use your sansamp after the preamp on your Hartke, by puttin it in the effects loop.

In short, its up to you, what your doing is technically fine, but if you dont like the sound, move it around.

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I suppose the pedantic answer is that ALL your equipment, from your fingers, strings, bass, cable, amp, speakers & cabinets all colour your tone, and if you get a sound you like, then that's ultimately all that matters...

in your case, i'd be tempted to zero the controls on the Hartke and work with the Sansamp to get close to what you're looking for, then fine tune if necessary/possible on the Hartke...

I use my RBI into a power amp, and I don't see a dedicated bass amp as a necessary step in the chain to get my sound, although the RBI on its own wasn't quite enough to get what I wanted... (one thing I found with the RBI was that the EQ didn't really goose the right frequencies.. so I have a racked 31 band EQ unit in the effects chain to give me a bit more control...)

just experiment, and remember, if it sounds ok, it IS ok!