Sans amp used without stage amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bcase, Jul 24, 2002.

1. bcase

Jul 24, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Our band is trying to go without using stage amps and going direct to the board. This sure creates a new set of problems, but I think it will help keep our stage volume down.
    I have been using a Zoom effects and a Whirlwind DI and have been thinking about a Sans Amp ... Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks ...
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've done it - it works fine as long as you have some kind of good monitoring.

Chris Olde-Wolbers (sp?) of Fear Factory did it all the time with a SansAmp when that band was still together.
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I remember reading somewhere that the Steve Miller Band has been playing on stage w/o amps for a long time.They use SansAmps for the guitars and all have in ear monitoring.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've done at some gigs, and it works fine as long as you have some good PA speakers that can handle the lows. You can boost your lows on the SansAmp to compensate, but don't overpower your speakers. We did a small gig, using only one pair of Mackie SR 1530s for mains, and it sounded bitchen. I also do it every week at rehearsal.

In fact, when I was setting up for our outdoor gig last Saturday, I forgot to patch my wireless into my amp, and ran right into the snake. I caught it when I tested my rig and went to turn up my stage amp, but it wasn't even on. I could've done without it, but hey, I loaded the danged thing down there, so it was going to get used. A quick re-patch fixed me right up.

When we do the bar gig again next month, I'm going to use my Avalon U5 to go into the board. It's suuuuweet!
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    sidenote, can the sansamp be used as a headphone amp? I want a good headphone amp and the basspod is a little too much methinks.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I use the SansAmp w/out my amp now that we've gone to in ear monitors. It works great, and our live sound is much better, especially in smaller rooms where the mains don't have to compete with the monitors. You could also run the parallel out to a smaller amp, like one of the Ampeg or Hartke wedges if you need a litle stage volume. I do not believe it will work as a headphone amp, but if you want to play with headphones or ear buds live, the Raven Labs PHA-1 is a great choice if you wanted to bring a mix from the board and combine it with your parallel out signal from your bass. You can have as much of you as you need, without affecting the house level.
  7. This is misplaced, so i will redirect this to amps.
  8. bcase

Jul 24, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks all for your replys !!!:)
  9. I'm using the Rolls PM50s Personal Monitor Amp now.

I patch the Direct Out of my Hartke 7000 amp into a 30db attenuator, then into the Rolls, then out to the board. (The signal from the Hartke is WAY to hot for the monitor amp - it was also way to hot for the mixer board, too, so I just moved the attenuator closer to me.)

I get an XLR monitor mix from the board, put it into a XLR -> 1/4" phone plug transformer, then into a 1/4" mono -> 1/4" stereo adapter plug, then into the Monitor in.

I use a set of "The Plug" earbuds from Koss (they are very cheap at $10 from Computers4Sure).

• I can hear the band, and more of me, so I can keep my stage volume very low on my amp (yes, I still use an amp so I can FEEL the bass, and so others in the band can hear it).
    • I'm real happy to be able to hear every note I play.
    • The Rolls PM50s is very inexpensive. I got mine on eBay for $30. It's also very tiny and lightweight.
    • I'm at the mercy of the sound man to send me the right monitor signal - sometimes I can't hear the guitars, usually I can't hear the drums. What I do is to only put in ONE of the ear buds at a time.
    • The monitor connection thru those 2 adapters is flakey - I have to prop the plug/transformer up on my flashlight in order for the sound not to cut out!
    • The PM50s is very small and is not easily rack mountable. I'm in the process of replacing it with a used 1-rack-space stereo mixer - a DOD R-855 (discontinued model - got it on eBay).
    • The wires to my earbuds keep getting shorter and shorter as I'm playing - in other words, the slack starts to disappear until they start pulling themselves out of my ears.

Any suggestions or other advice would be appreciated!

10. chengann

Apr 22, 2003

everyone claims amazing things about the tiny sansamp. i am using one at church now, straight into the mixer and returning as aux monitors. no instrument amps.

i loved it at first but i am starting to dislike the colored tone.

how does the avalon fare compared to the sansamp for such applications? does it add more clarity?

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's extremely clean with no EQ. Its six EQ settings can add the color of your choice. You know, you don't have to color your tone with the SansAmp, though.
  12. chengann

Apr 22, 2003
    the bypass sounds really dry on the sansamp.
    i could get cleaner tone just from a 20 dollars passive di. wonder if it's just me...but the test by todd/josh ( seem to indicate likewise too. the sansamp with zero eq just sounds a little compressed.

what i was hoping to get is not really "transparent" but really clarity.
    something like what a bbe maximizer would do...revive those dead frequencies that get lost.

avalon seems to be doing some of that magic...
    or are my ears playing tricks on me?