Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sans Amp with an Active Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by templelife, Jun 8, 2001.

1. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I have a Tobias Growler and was wondering what would be the benifits or drawbacks of using the Bass Driver by Sans Amp with it? I really don't know if it's something that people would do. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do. I use a Spector with 18 volt electronics in it. It's going to completely depend on what you're after! For me, it's a stomp box with a different eq curve than what I can attain onboard my bass. I also use it for a touch more crunch in my tone.

The disadvantage is that I have to keep the level a little on the low side so I don't send too much signal into my amp. Thus, the crunch sounds a little compressed.

But, I don't think it's a big deal using a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI with an active bass. You'll probably just end up with more flexibility, which ain't a bad thing;)

3. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Thanks my man, for the info. By any chance could you describe how you get that crunch sound with the Bass Driver. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We've come to discover that some active basses overdrive the front end of the SABDDI. If this happens, you'll need to turn down the volume on your bass. You can tell if this is going on if you get distortion in your sound no matter how far down you set your pre-amp (on the amp).

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Crank up the Drive and the Gain, dial in some Presence. Works for me. However, YMMV, since somesses are only going to "crunch" if you drive a car over them or pack the PA on top of them in a gig bag.

My active bass works fine with it. I use it like RAM, as a stomp box, and won't play out without it, since RAM was one of the people who turned me on to it.

I haven't tried it solo through the mains, (truly, "sans amp"). I imagine it is fine but I still like the front part of the audience to get some real amp-bass in their faces.