Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Acoustic DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Sep 10, 2003.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've been eyeing sansamp's BDDI and have read reviews here. I went to sansamp's website and noticed the Acoustic DI which replaces the BDDI's drive and presence knobs with a semi-parametric mid control.
    I don't use distortion but would like the option of tubey sounds if I want it. Does the Acoustic DI do this? I like the idea of a mid control but is the BDDI better suited to bass?

I will be using it for a variety of styles with upright and electric bass in conjunciton with an amp, direct to the board for live use, and for recording as well. Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used my Acoustic DI rather than my SABDDI to go direct to the board last weekend (I was going to use my new PHA-1, but I needed the semi-parametric mid control to bring up my mids at 500 haz outdoors). It works fine for bass. I don't know if you can get a tube-like sound out of it ... never tried. The Acoustic DI is great for fretless, too. You can dial in some growly mids. I'd say you need one of each.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks. Is there a big difference in sound between the two?

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had both for a while and kept the BDDI. Not that the Acoustic DI wasn't good. I decided that the BDDI was unique, and the Acoustic was a bit redundant because of other gear that I use.

They do different things and each fills in what the other doesn't do. I get a great tubey sound out of the BDDI, but don't have the same kind of mid control. A fixed mid EQ is pretty easy to dial in once you get the hang of it. The Acoustic DI seemed more transparent, it has a more versatile EQ section, and there are times that I wish I still had it for recording fretless. Yeah, keep looking around for deals and get both!

BTW, If you look at the Landmark 300 amp the two channels are basically BDDI and Acosutic DI. So even Tech21 agrees that you should have both (not surprising, I know).

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Check out the SansAmp RBI.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I use the Acoustic DI - it has the same tubesim circuitry as the BDDI and can give you the same tube sound if you crank the "blend" knob. The only thing it's lacking is the footswitch.

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks everyone.
    Whats the difference between the "blend" and "drive" knobs on the BDDI? It seems that they both introduce tube sounds to the signal.

8. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    From the Tech 21 web site

You're hearing "tube sounds" when playing with the Blend knob because you're adding the SansAmp signal to your bass guitar signal. Tech 21 recommends having Blend all the on but you might like hearing some of your original, unaltered bass in the mix.

Try experimenting. A small turn will produce dramatic results.