1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SansAmp AND M80!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xring, May 1, 2006.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I've been curious about this so I just went and did it. I know to some it may seem ridiculous to have 2 DI's, but I already had the M80 which I love, and the distortion wasn't getting it for me. Way too fuzzy. Of course I've heard alot about the Sansamp, and it sounded like the right amount of grit I was looking for. But...I didn't want to lose the sweet EQ (gotten through the "color" button) of the M80. So far, great. I can dirty it up a bit, shut off the Sansamp, and maintain the clean color of the M80. Tomorrow I will try changing the order of the pedals to see if it makes any difference. I'm getting closer to my sound...:)

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Which sansamp do you have: Bass or Para Driver?

If you have the Bass one, which I suspect, then by putting the M-80 after it, the M-80s mid should have an effect on the SAs od, like that of the Para's mid (especially when shifted to 750Hz or less).

Well, that's my theory anyway. If you could confirm that would be :cool:, and soundclips of the pedals in different orders would bo much apriciated around here anyway! :bassist:

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'll have to check that and get back. I did notice that when I activated the M80's distortion, I had to really crank the gain and blend to get much of anything, and it was very noisy. I hadn't had that problem. I'll check the batt. I've no way of posting clips unfortunately.

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Update. The mids on the M80 do not affect the OD on the SA. Knob does just what it is supposed to. I couldn't tell any difference putting either unit 1st or last in the loop, but I'll keep the M80 last.
    The toughest part was taming the SA so that it did not have too much presence (which causes a scratchy trebly affect), and still having enough bite from the M80 when the SA is disengaged. I think I've got it set for my SR5. Now on to the Bongo which may create a whole other dilemma considering that powerful preamp which is a little too hot IMO.:)

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Interesting :meh: Seems that the mid on the para has been designed that way... Probably to more or less be able to emulate the presence on the bddi, but at different freqs:

6. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I am liking this thing. I like the tone with the presence turned up, which forces me to go a little easy in the way I attack the strings. I tend to be heavy handed.
    I was sort of hoping that it might replace the M80, but the tone is still better with both in the loop.
    One major observation build-wise comparing the two: The M80 is a tank, the SA is more of a Humvee.:D

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Now that I find interesting! :eek:

By what do you base your observation?

QUICK EDIT: Maybe I should put some 20" dubs on mine then! :rollno: :D

8. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Well they're (roughly) the same size. The M80 seems to be almost twice as heavy. The case is of a heavier gauge, and the inputs seem beefier. They may not be, they just appear that way to me.
    I do like the softer switching of the SA though.

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Again, you present some very interesting information. Thank You!

+1. Believe it or not, I'd take my English Muff'n and un-true-bypass it, if I had the experience and time, just so the switching would be smooother...

still thinking about 20" dubs on my SA though, cus of the reggae tone:
    Rollin' Down the Street,
    Smokin' Endo,
    Sippin' on Gin and Juice....

Layyyyy Back,
    With My Mind on My Money,
    And My Money on My Mind...
    :eyebrow: :rollno: :D

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium