Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp as a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicbassist, Mar 27, 2002.

1. I am looking at the possibility of using my SansAmp Bass Driver Di as a preamp into a new power amp. I do not have much money at the moment. I was thinking that to invest in a good power amp (Carvin) and a good 1x12 or 2X10 cabinet and use the sansAmp as a preamp would be a good temporay solution.

Right now I just have a SWR workingman's 10 which does not have enough volume for one of the warehouses I play in. Also, the PA does not handle my 5 string well.

I like the tones I get from my alembic 5, and usually run the EQ of the amps I use on flat settings and just adjust my bass. Even the SanaAmp I run straight through without coloring the tone when I use the XLR out to a PA system, so I don't think that my tone would be negatively affected by going from the Sansamp to a new power amp. Any comments on this idea?

2. I'd like to see a report on this too.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Several people over on the FDP use their BDDI as a preamp into a poweramp - you may want to check their archives. Also, it's been discussed here at TB.

I was considering doing what you're asking before I just gave up and bought a SansAmp RBI rack preamp instead.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The floor model dosen't have the juice to power a poweramp properly......I've had my preamp die on a gig, and used my sansamp to get me through the gig....it was good enough for the emergency but it was lacking big time! The rackmount Sans-Amp is better suited for use as a preamp.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I was thinking about doing the same thing Alembicbassist. I'm getting a new cab and am going to get a Carvin DCM2000... Money is also tight and I can't get the preamp that I want. So I am probably going to use my Sansamp... Or.. I may run my combo amp to the Power amp and use it to control my tone.. we'll see

6. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I currently use the Sansamp Bass driver stomp box as the preamp into an old Crown 460 CSL power amp into a Peavey 410 cab .

I also use it as a preamp plugged into the "return" input on a Clarus head with a 210 carvin cab. when I play electric for smaller gigs.

In both cases I've been extremely pleased with the results. The signal does seem hot enough to act as a preamp for my applications.

In the future I am looking to buy the rackmount version, but that will be only for convenience.
    If the stomp box version was not so good, I wouldn't even consider any "return business". :)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The gist of the earlier threads here at TB and elsewhere is...it depends. Some poweramps can be driven to max power with the levels provided by a SABDDI, and some can't. It's a brand-by-brand issue. You'll have to try it and see...

I think Pedro over on the FDP is a big proponent of SABDDI >> poweramp.

(Edit - Bill, you posted as I was typing. See what I mean? It depends on your poweramp!)