Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Bass DI as outboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kezekiel, Jun 30, 2001.

1. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Guys:

I'm looking at building a new bass, and I wonder what you guys think about installing passive electronics and using the Bass DI as my active outboard preamp. Anyone done this?

Kevin

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'm sure many have done that. Having an onboard preamp can be handy, but using a Bass SansAmp can certainly add a good deal of flexibility to your bass' sound. I've used one with several of my passive and active basses. I also use a K&K Sound Pure Preamp, a three band EQ unit (that I also sell along with the other K&K stuff) with my old Fender fretless - just run a 1 foot cable to the preamp clipped to my bass strap.

That's the one thing I wish the SansAmp had (and is included in their new rack unit) -- a midrange control.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do it with my Jazz bass. Like Bob said, lots of flexibility:D

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Does the SansAmp BassDI buffer the signal going to the 1/4" out and convert it to low impedance? Does it work best connected right to the bass or at the end of the signal chain, after stompboxes and before going into the amp?

Bob Gollihur-reading a post of yours about gear insurance several months ago inspired me to check out http://musicproinsurance.com . I just got a policy with them that covers all my stuff for $55 (with ISB discount) a year-a small price to pay for peace of mind. I know some people who have gotten their gear ripped off recently so I was glad to find cheap, comprehensive coverage. Thanks for the heads-up!

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It buffers/amplifies it and it is an unbalanced low impedance output according to the SansAmp manual I just consulted. The 1/4" can drive a power amp, the XLR is a record level output.
    My pleasure, I'm glad you went for it -- I lost a lot of $$ in a club fire 25 yrs ago and haven't been without insurance since. It does give you a lot of peace of mind.

When I got mine I didn't think they had an ISB discount- I will have to inquire.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I apologize for getting too far off topic for a "Pickups" thread, but I had to ask...this insurance thing: How does it differ from homeowner's? That's how I currently have my bass and amp insured. Is that not adequate?

7. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Homeowners insurance is filled with restrictions that require your study of the policy language, usually written in LawyerLingo.

First, as with jewelry and some other specifically named categories, there are dollar limits over which you have no coverage unless the items are listed and part of a rider.

If you play professionally (for $$, any amount), homeowners' policies will typically exclude your gear from coverage. If you are a "hobbyist" you may have coverage, but it's something worth looking into.

The specialized policies from MusicPro, Merz-Huber, and others are generally "all risk" (within certain logical parameters, of course) so if you forget and leave your axe on the top of the car, and it falls off as you leave your driveway and it's stolen, or if a drunk knocks over your bass and the neck is broken off, for instance, you are covered.