Sansamp Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGuy, Sep 7, 2000.

1. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I am thinking of buying a Sansamp Bass DI from Tech 21. List price is about $190. Does anyone have any experience with it or opinions on it? I have a 100W stage amp, but will use the Sansamp for routing to the PA and in recording. It seems like a good, versatile little box.

The ad also says it has suggested settings for acoustic guitar. Has anyone used it for that? I play guitar in the band also and it would be handy to have a direct box I could use for both.

Thanks for you help.

2. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I remember someone here uses the Acoustic DI by Sansamp for their bass. Can't remember who.

These are great little boxes especially for people that have smaller rigs and want that great tube overdrive. I never owned one, but I have used one in the past. I would recommend it if you're after that tube type overdrive or if you need it for the DI.
  3. I have a SansAmp Bass DI. In fact I used it on a recording just last night!

It is a very cool, and very handy tool to have around. For one, it is a nice direct box. If you just need a direct box, this is a good one to get because it's that and more. As far as the preamp is concerned, it is very usable. Plug your bass strait into it, dial up a tone, and you're set. You can add in as much drive as you like, including none. It does give you a sound like a loud speaker. I am not too much of a fan of the drive control on it. I just don't like the sound of the overdrive it gives you, so I usually keep that set quite low, if not off. Last night I plugged into it out of my preamp and just used it to give me a bit of amp simulation. I use it all the time at home for plugging into my 4-track. I can use the headphones and have a nice "amped" sound for quiet practice. It has a wide range of tones and colors available. It is a very versitile and useful tool. When I first got it, I thought I didn't like it. But after I got used to setting the controls where I like them, I found that I liked it a lot. Very subtle changes on the controls can make big differences. You just need to play with it a while to feel it out and get what you want. It goes with me everywhere now. One more good thing. If your amp ever craps out at a gig, you can always go direct through your SansAmp and have a decent sound. Hell, I've heard of some players doing that always. They just use their Sansamp with no other amp on stage and have their bass sound come at them through the monitor mix (which is fine as long as you have a board that can set up a mix just for you).

You should be able to get one new for about $145.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it would work just fine as a DI for an acoustic guitar, with or without the preamp circuit. Actually, I imagine it would be great with the preamp.

[Edited by Brian Gordon on 09-07-2000 at 12:52 PM]
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have both the Bass Driver DI and the Accoustic DI, and they both are superb little tools. I like to use the Accoustic DI on by fretless because of its variable mid boost/cut control. Either box adds a lot of depth to the tone. Get the Bass Driver ... you'll dig it. I don't think I've seen a single negative post about it (unlike the controversial Bass POD).
  5. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've read lots of good criticisms about the DI, but wanted to know if I can plug my bass to the DI and then to my Peavey combo.

Also, give me your opinion about the DI, if you own one or have tried one.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. Tell me about your Tech21's Bass Compactor opinions (if you have any)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

The setup you're contemplating is one of the areas in which the Bass Driver DI shines. It'll blow you away when you hear how it makes your Peavey sound. Seriously. I use mine the same way with my little SWR Workingman's 12. The WM-12 is an OK practice amp, but it sounds downright decent when I run my BDDI between the bass and amp. Have faith.
  7. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I agree. Use it like a stomp box and you can use the XLR out to the board and simultaneously take the 1/4" out to your amp. You WILL like it! It is very flexible and sounds great!
  8. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for your help and opinions. I'm definitively gonna buy the BD DI.

I'll let you know what i think when i recieve it and try it.

Thanks Again to you and every one who answered.