Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Bass Driver D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Superdave, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I was thinking about looking into buying one of these, and I wanted to know , what do they do exactly?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You know they're good when you don't know what they do but still want one :p

3. I'm going to "bump" this one along because I'd like to get some additional information myself. I was going to start a thread on general D.I. usage, but think this thread may go the same direction, so I'll join in here. Our church just got rid of all the old amps and monitors for a direct system using personal ear monitors. I can plug directly into the system, but was told that it would be better to first go through a pre-amp or D.I. box, so I just started looking into the Sansamp this morning. I'm not trying to take away from davealktrio's thread, but an answer to the question may help me too.

4. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I heard that they act as a boost, or make the bass/rig sound better, but then I also heard that they act as an overdrive effect?

5. It's a direct input box and a tube amp emulator. It is used often in the recording industry.

As a direct input box, it will augment your signal so you can plug directly into a mixer or a PA system. (With a DI box, your bass signal will be too weak.)

As a tube emulator, it simulates the sound of a amp that uses tubes rather than solid-state electronics. It works especially well at "fattening" the tone of a cheaper amp but doesn't work so well on better gear. As for distortion, it has a gain knob so you can overdrive it like a tube amp but some people like the distortion, some people hate it.

You can use it as a preamp but the signal is pretty weak. I use it like an effects box between my bass and preamp.

I like it. Some people don't. Depends on your needs and current rig. They sell for $275 CDN new in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

For more information, try using the search function using the terms "Sampsamp", "SABBDI", Bass Driver.

Check out the website too: Tech21 NYC