Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Bass Driver DI and effects "or PSA-1"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slayer bass, Aug 26, 2004.

1. I’m thinking about a new rig, and where I live I have these options available: (in fact I have more options but I choose these)

1-A. SansAmp Bass Driver DI (The RBI version is not available around here)
    1-B. SansAmp PSA-1

2. Digitech Bass Squeeze (compressor)
    3. Boss EQ-20 (equalizer)

I would like some comments on this setup.
    I will use it for bass, I play most of the time Punk Rock and Rock stile.

I would like to know if the Bass Driver DI sounds better than the PSA-1for bass, or I can get the same tones for bass from the PSA-1 plus the extra tones for guitar. I think if I can get the same tones of the Bass Driver DI from the PSA-1, it’s better to get the PSA-1, (and spend the extra money).
    I know that the PSA-1 is a rack mount unit, and I can consider buying a rack compressor and a rack equalizer.

Another question about the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, the manual says:
    “3) When you push SansAmp Bass Driver DI to saturation, you get enhanced harmonics, just as you would with an overdriven tube amplifier. Depending on the setting, the unique circuitry limits transient peaks for an even meter reading, so that outboard compressors or limiters may not be necessary.”
    This effect (compression) is only get with overdriven tones?

If want to use Digitech Bass Squeeze compressor, I should put it before or after the Bass Driver?, or is it unnecessary to use a compressor with the Bass Driver?

Thanks!!!

2. Just want to be on the top again!!!
    Any comments?

:help:

3. If you were to get just the pedals, I'd go: Comp - EQ - BDDI, because if you use the BDDI as a D.I., you'll want the compressed and EQ'd sound going to the PA as well.

The PSA-1 is nice, but in all the shoot-outs I've seen between it and the RBI, the RBI wins. This doesn't make much sense seeing as how the PSA-1 is supposed to have all the RBI tones, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. However, with the tone shaping of the compressor and EQ, you should have everything you need to get a really great sound.

Do you have a head or a power amp yet? If you have a head, then going 'all pedals' would work great...but if you have a power amp, you might not have the gain through just pedals to properly power a power amp (too many P's there. :D ). If you just have a power amp, you might have to go with the PSA-1.

Sorry nobody answered you 'til now.

4. Thank you!!!

I own a power amp and a SVP-BSP, I don't like the overdrive channel of the BSP, so I'm thinking about selling it.
    But thinking about you said I will have to keep the BSP or buy the PSA-1 to drive the power amp.
    Are you shure that I cannot plug the out of the Sansamp Bass Driver DI direct to the power amp?
    Well, and about the Bass Squeeze and the EQ-20, somebody else has any comments?
    And the compression effect of the BDDI? is it real?

Thanks again.

5. From what I remember, most people can't drive a power amp to full power with what the BDDI puts out. With the comp, EQ and BDDI driving it, you might have enough, but I don't really know.

The BDDI is a tube amp simulator. Tubes are natural compressors, so it would make sense that an overly-saturated BDDI would sound compressed, just like an overly-saturated Tube amp.

I'll let the real experts chime in, though.

6. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    This may or may not be of any help to you, but;
    I have a Bass Driver DI and I bought this after I had played through a PSA-1 in a studio for a CD. I had to do a lot of research about getting either the Sansamp BDDI or PSA-1 as they aren't readily sold in my country - and not too many people knew much about them. PSA-1 seemed to have superfluous stuff on it.
    The BDDI was the right decision and I plug this directly into my power amp ( BXR300C ) as condoned in the manual. From the power amp I DI with an old Rapco DB100 Direct Box into the sound system at our church and this set-up works great.
    In our R&B 3pce ( pubs and gigs etc ) I sometimes split off the BDDI straight to the sound-desk and parallel into the BXR which I use as fold-back - equally as successful but I don't get to hear the tone of my bass so accurately this way.
    In the church, I run my amp completely flat and use the BDDI to get the sound I want as well as the controls on my BTB1005.
    Wasn't aware that the BDDI had compression effect and the manual ( as far as I can see ) doesn't mention it either. I haven't detected compression effect but I'm 52 and have 25% hearing loss so I wouldn't notice it if it did!
    Don't have any experience with the compressor you mention, but use a Tech21 Bass Compactor at odd times.
    Because I love the latest gadgets, am considering upgrading the BDDI to the RBI but I don't think it's an absolute must.
    Maurice

7. Keep in mind, the BXR 300C is a combo amplifier...not a power amp. It's got a preamp, power amp, and speaker in one box. Are you plugging from the BDDI into the Power Amp IN jack on the BXR or into the input where your bass would normally go?

8. I run the Sansamp ADI in my rig. It is much like the BDI but without the drive knob. It is NOT able to fully power a power amp on its own but this is easily overcome by running an EQ rack AFTER the ADI to boost the signal. Sounds awesome.

9. FWIW I love the fact that my little Sansamp pedal fits in my bass case so I can bring it everywhere....home practice, jam nights etc. and get my tone.

10. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Mo'Phat, yeah, I should have mentioned the bit about the combo, thanks for bringing that out. I can use either the bass input jack or the "Effects Loop - Power Amp In" jack.

With the bass jack, I can use all the controls on the amp if I want, but I just leave them all at 12 o'Clock and control the tone with the BDDI and/or my bass. When using the power amp in jack, I cannot use any of the amp controls obviously, but the BDDI and the BTB1005 can crank the BXR up enough to make the room shake ( I just tested it out to make sure what sort of output I could get and more than rattled the windows - wife's grumpy now ). The bass has passive pick-ups with an active 18v bartolini pre-amp circuit.
    I have a love/hate relationship with my BXR - it always sounds boomy, the BDDI fixed that a wee bit, but it has been recommeded that I hook up a 2x10 cab as well which will make it sound sweet. I don't want make a deviation on this thread about my amp so if you have any comments about the BXR's sound that would help, would you be so kind enough as to pm me please - thanks
    Maurice

11. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    The 'blend' control on the RBI/BDDI is the one thing which almost nullifies the PSA-1 for bass unless a second clean feed can be used. If you use lots of distortions/overdrives however the PSA-1 is the dog's bollocks and you won't look back.