Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Bass Driver DI for Acoustic Guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Apr 27, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Ok, this is a strange question, I know. I have heard that the Sansamp Bass DI is like the neatest thing for bass. My question is, how good is it for guitar. I am both a bass player and a new guitar player. I am considering buying it for my bass, but wonder if it would be good for my guitar too.

I know they have one for guitar too, but I only want to buy one box!

2. my answer is just strait up "NO", simply because the guitar would end up sounding too bassy© I'm guessing you'd use it as a distortion pedal? and if so, you wouldnt have enough gain for distortion, and then if you were using it just as a pre-amp, i'd also say no, because you'd have wayy too much bass for anyones likings© I tried it with my strat, didnt like the sound, shelled out $300, got the Mesa/Boogie V-Twin, and have never looked back©

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm going to have to disagree with Muttluck on this one. I've run a Strat and a Les Paul through my BDDI, and it can easily be EQ'd to work just fine. The "Drive" control also can add in a nice tube overdrive sound ... nothing too radical, though.

You may want to consider the SansAmp Accoustic DI. It's very similar, but with 3-band EQ and no stomp button. I use it for my fretless stuff, but it works well even with the fretted basses. Either way, you'd have a useful tool.

The best thing to do is go play your guitar through the BDDI to see if you get what you're looking for.

4. Yep you can definitely use it for guitar, but try it to see if you like the sound - to my ears its a vintage rock kinda overdrive sound if the gain is all the way up. YMMV.

5. Drive kinda like that of the sound of a tube amp pushed to the limit?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Kinda like that, but not extreme ... it's a bit more subtle. Just a warm overdrive sound.

7. It can get pretty extreme with the drive and presence cranked ...

8. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I'll be scanning e-bay for the next few weeeks.

I posted this same message on an acoustic guitar forum. One guy said that the BDDI is the same as the ACDI except they replaced the mid with a stomp button and the overdrive.

9. I'd really like to get one if i could pick it up cheap ...