Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Bass Driver DI or MXR M-80 DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave C., Mar 16, 2003.

1. SansAmp Bass Driver

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. MXR M-80

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave C.

Dave C.

Mar 10, 2003
    Dayton, Ohio
    They seem very close to same thing, but MXR seems to have more options. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll second that, but I'll give you my summary based on my experiences with both. I've seen plenty discussions of both units, but not too much input from people who've owned/used both.

Sansamp
    It records great, and the 'blend' is real nice. However, I've found that live it sounds kind of indistinct when using high levels of 'blend'. Also, the lack of a mid control is annoying - the suggested workarounds to cut mids don't work that well IMO. I think it's this lack of mid control that results in the Sansamp sounding indistinct live to me, I like some nice low mids to cut through.
    Other people swear by them live, so YMMV.
    As the Sansamp is only on or off, there's no real way with the Sansamp on to suddendly turn on the distortion in the middle of a song without turning the knob manually.

M80
    Has two channels, so you can have off, on with eq, on with eq + distortion. The distortion is pretty good, not fantastic, but there's blend and drive controls so you can get a good mix out of it. The EQ controls are good, with bass / mid / treble and an optional 'color' switch which puts in a slap type tone - the eq controls are still operational in color mode so you can still boost or cut what you want.

I have heard that maybe the M80's DI is more noisy, but haven't had any experience of that.

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. I'd say if you're doing a lot of home recording and want to get some semblance of a miked up bass sound, then the Sansamp is probably for you. If you're not interested in the tube emulation, and just want a decent eq with distortion and DI on top then I'd say go for the M80.

4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    after trying out about every o/d pedal around i was sold on the m-80. its a class act. i havent had any problems with it being noisy, it serves a ton of functions, its well made and its not that expensive (125 at guitar center). if they seem the *same* to you, then go with the mxr without a doubt.

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I love the sansamp... I own the RBI, and I am wishing to get the sabd... I tryed the mxr once in Halifax, and I didn't like the distortion at all... And if you don't take my word for it take geddy's - he is using the bass driver... he loves the thing...

Alex

6. search link posted, more than 20 threads. CLOSED!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.