1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp Bass Driver DI vs. Sadowsky Preamp/DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Aug 21, 2007.

1. I'm looking into purchasing an outboard preamp or preamp/DI in order to bolster the tone of my passive jazz to sound a bit more like an active one w/out altering the electronics.

Any recommendations between the Sansamp Bass Driver DI and the Sadowsky Preamp/DI?

I'm leaning towards the Sadowsky, but it is a bit more expensive and I've heard it can be a bit too hi-fi sounding.

I wouldnt mind going with the Sansamp, from what I hear it offers a fair bit of warmth and is a bit less expensive.

My main objective is to bolster the tone of my jazz to make it stand out a bit more in the mix like an active jazz would. Would it be safe to say that either one of these preamp/DI's would be capable of doing such?

2. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Two completely different beasts IMHO. I've spent a good bit of time with both and if you're looking for it to sound like your bass except active the Sadowsky is the ticket. If on the other hand you want it to sound like your bass through a nice tube amp then get the Sansamp. I'm back to the Sansamp because I want a little bit or dirt in my tone and the Sadowsky doesn't have that. The Sadowsky does have a beautiful musical fairly warm tone about it though.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Definitely Sadowsky, or there's a John East pre pedal in the classifieds which would also be excellent. The Sansamp really is more for emulating an SVT amp.

4. Here's a thread where I asked almost the exact same thing.

Brian

5. Cool, thanks for the feedback guys! I noticed that Sadowsky stopped selling their straight up preamp, now they only offer the preamp/DI. Any differences in sound between the two?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't physically compared them, but I think all they did was add the DI output to the existing preamp circuit.

7. Just to throw another one in the mix...

I use a Fodera Model 2000 outboard pre. They are a bit harder to come by, but a similar cost to the Sadowsky. I got mine used for about $200 in basically 'as new' condition. It has a $350 retail sticker on it.

I use mine for the exact same purpose that you require a pre. My Ric 4001 is a bit on the quiet side, so I boost it up and have better tone shaping options with the Fodera. Its extremely clean sounding and has volume, bass boost, treble boost and a mid cut/boost as well. The mid control can just be bypassed too if you prefer a 2 band eq. From memory the Sadowsky doesn't have a mid control?

The only annoying thing is that they are 18v powered by 2x 9v batteries. There is no factory option to use external power.

Its worth checking out if you can get your hands on one. I believe there is a recently released Model 2006 (I think) on the Japanese market (why the japanese get them, I have no idea).