SansAmp Bass Driver DI vs ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by James Lugo, Jul 21, 2018.

1. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Putting a bass pedal board together for a Top 40/80s Dance Rock/Disco/Hip Hop etc band. Just looking for a little gain and glue. Not fuzz or heavy distortion. No metal. Running a P bass and Ampeg Portiflex. I’ve tried a fair amount and so far like the SansAmp the best. I’ve heard good things about the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes but don’t have an opportunity to try one. Any thoughts on pedals for this application versus a SansAmp?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I rotate my BDDI with an Ampeg SCR-DI: two different approaches with a similar goal in mind. I was planning on selling one of the two but can't decide which I like better. The BDDI is designed to emulate a mic'd-up SVT rig, the Ampeg is essentially the front end of the BA series. The "scrambler" channel gets stupid when cranked but sounds pretty decent at lower levels...you can also kick it in 'n out independently of the main EQ'd DI channel.

I've also taken a recent interest in the Fairfield Barbershop. Per reputable sources, it does a stellar job of parroting a full-blown all-tube head including the tube power section. It's next on my GAS list but I need to get a better handle on how to incorporate it with my existing pedalboard EQ capabilities.

Riis

3. Algo

Algo

Dec 3, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    I went the opposite direction, heavy distortion if I so desire with the ability to tone it down and get clearer which I wouldn't have had had I went with the Sansamp which is very clear sounding all along, so I went for a MXR M80.

I would look no further than the Sansamp to be quite honest.
    If you want to go cheaper, perhaps the Eden but it really is as lower quality as the price point would tell.

Videos don't tell the whole picture, but there was this nice back-to-back tryout of many preamps, among which was the Darkglass Vintage and it was among the ones I liked the most.

My 2 cents if you can call it that.

4. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks guys. Yeah I have a SansAmp BDDI at the studio this dude loaned me and it really sounds nice with my rig and the way I play. Looking to just keep on all the time for an overall thing. Nothing extreme just some stank and glue.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The only pedal I'd replace my Sansamp with is the Noble Bass Preamp/DI.
    IMO it's the Swiss Army Knife of Bass pedals.
    I've used it for tightening it down, I've used it to fatten it up, To get rid of the highs,
    To add some grind, to reign in an out-of-control Fuzz.

MTN.bass72, MDBass and thumbs&fingers like this.
  6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The only one that could replace my old BDDI was the BDDIv2. Same tones, only more EQ. The V2 is so much better and a lot more versatile.

Al Kraft and LowRenzo like this.
  7. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Well Sam Ash in Madison is only place in town that had a selection of the stuff I’m looking at. I was able to play through my same basic rig too. Darkglass stuff was nice but I like the SansAmp better. More natural and better low end. It just sounds like what I hear in my head. The Aguilar AGRO honestly wasn’t for me.

Tried the TC, Aguilar Octamizer and MXR octave pedal. The mxr had a cool thing but sounded weird to my ear. Like to clean digital. Very unnatural. The TC was super strange. The Aguilar was the best for what I do. Had a nice funky smear and big booty. I was able to play down to F# with it too.

Ps I have a pic but can’t seem to upload.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Before you buy the Sansamp BDDI , try the Sansamp Para Driver which is a step up from the BDDI. It has sweepable Mids, which is where the magic is.

Al Kraft and RexxRokket like this.
  9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Even better is the Q/strip. Amazing EQ/pre amp, but doesnt have any character to it like a BDDI.
    I had the old Paradriver but felt it sounded bland. Definitely not in the same category as a BDDI.

cableguy likes this.
  10. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I also had the BDDI which was the first Sansamp pedal that I bought,I then replaced it with the Para Driver when that came out purely because of the sweepable mids which all Bassists find really important. The V2 of the BDDI is better than the V1 but still doesn't have the sweepable mids facility which is disappointing. I own the Q Strip too which is a great EQ box. At the end of the day it is each to their own, but for me being able to sweep the mids for live and recording situations is a must.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  11. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Another vote for Paradriver but any Sansamp is pretty much the way to go IMO.

12. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Yep Tech21 sure do make some great pedals. The Leeds Character Series pedal is another gem worth looking at.

13. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    Two Note LeBass and done.

Aqualung60, Raw N Low and Socobass like this.
  14. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    SABDDI sounds like an SVT with the ultra-lo switch on. There's a definite mid scoop. You can fight it by backing off on the blend control. An excellent pedal. Any version is good. Just buy it and ride off into the sunset.

2F%2Fimg00.deviantart.net%2F05ff%2Fi%2F2014%2F363%2Ff%2F7%2Fpoor_lonesome_cowboy_by_erej-d8borky.jpg

torza and TNCreature like this.
  15. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Anything that makes the 80s disappear

16. James Lugo

James Lugo

May 29, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Exactly what I thought. I kind of like the mid on it. Maybe it comes from years with an SVT and P bass. I bought the SansAmp and Octamizer along with a wireless and pedal board and power supply today. Pretty stoked.

Kro and leonard like this.
  17. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Been using the BDDI for a long time. While I want an excuse to try something else, but I don’t think I can justify changing from something that works so well. I tend to use pretty low blend for clean tones, and increase the blend for subtle dirt.

18. briancortez2112

briancortez2112

Jan 12, 2016
    I use a tech 21 VT Bass di with a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes, I can assure you the Darkglass is a great pedal! Its very natural and warm sounding with a one of a kind overdrive tone. The blend knob is what makes the darkglass for me, you can dial it so that you keep all of your low end! I run the VT Bass DI pretty clean with a little character knob in the signal for the speaker type emulation. Both together make an excellent tone!

superdick2112 likes this.
  19. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I've been playing Tech 21 VT Bass V2 for about 4-5 years, it was my sound and I liked it, but there was one thing that I never liked about VT Bass, lows sound muddy, maybe that's my hands, playing, rig, but I've tried everything, every possible settings. Here on talk bass I'm not the one who had this problem, guys advised me to pick the BDDI. I also made a record with my band and our sound engineer reamped bass thru BDDI and sound amazing, we play rock music, but not too heavy, my bass sound is just a clean bass with a little bit of push, again everything comes from BDDI and this is the best sound I had so far. I real life I don't have BDDI, because I wasn't in local stores. But what I found and bought here was the discontinued Tech 21 product - TRI-A.C., it is universal pedal for guitar and bass, it sounds very good with my rig, low end mud gone with my beloved VT Bass.

20. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I have used the tech 21 rackmounted RPM for several years now..and can get a lot of different kinds of sound out of it..I like it better than the RBI..the Mike Pope rackmounted MPP1 is a really nice unit..but has been discontinued..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021