1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by r05c03, Apr 18, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    So if I understand the SansAmp Bass Driver DI serves as a preamp that can be run into a power amp and there by run a cabinet. Can you really do this and not actually have a amp head or is it better to have the real deal? Can the preamp aspects of this pedal be used without the overdrive. Does anyone have a feel for how it would work with basses with a hot preamp such the a EBMM Bongo bass?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes, you can do that - whether or not it is better is pretty subjective. Enough people seem to think so, however, as there are a bunch of people on the board who do run it this way.

It can be used as a "clean" preamp, that is, with no overdrive. You just turn down the Gain control and you retain your control over the EQ. That's the way I use mine almost all the time.

I have no experience playing a Bongo through, but I don't imagine it being a problem. Perhaps someone else with that setup can chime in?

3. Yes you can run the Sans amp directly into a power amp. Yes it works well as a clean preamp. I know it's not a bongo but my stingray works well with it.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yes, I do this all the time. If you are buying a new one you'll be fine. If you are getting it used, make sure it has the little switches on the front to boost/cut the signal. The older ones didn't drive a power amp so well. The new ones do fine.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 :D

6. the_luke

the_luke

Jul 3, 2005
    Mine runs straight into the poweramp section of my amp. It just depends on the quality of your amp's pre-amp. (this is if you have a standard amp which is a pre and a power amp.)

-Luke

7. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm planning on buying one this weekend.
    But got two questions:
    Is it cool with active basses?
    Is it that relevant to the sound or should I consider buying other stuff first?
    (note that I'm putting my pedalboard together and just have the Nathan East parametric eq. and a boss geb-7)

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ You could use the GEB-7 as an active pad by lowering the output level if it doesn't work out, although just lowering the BDDI's gain knob would probably achieve the same effect.

9. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    I see...let's give it a try.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It works well with active or passive basses. I use it it with an Active Jazz 24 and an Ibanez SRX300 as well as my passive Fender Jazz and it works great.

It seems to give my Jazz 24 a lot more growl. I run the eq almost flat with a little more low end dialed in on my pre amp to compensate for the increased mids I seem to gain. It's a great slightly over-driven growl that I get from running the Sansamp.

Get one. It won't dissapoint you.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

My experience with the later Sans DI, MXR, and Sad and they will power my QSC but at reduced volume, at least compared to an Art MP. In fact ballpark at about the same output as running active EMG's with no preamp straight to the amp - single 9V battery. I altered the switches and couldn't tell any difference in output personally, nothing like an active/passive input jack to an amp.

If you have enough amp, doesn't matter but if you're not keeping up, the Sans would be my first change.

It will run "clean" but it's by no means transparent, colors and dulls tone noticeably. A worthwhile tradeoff sometimes for what it does fairly well - offers a variable gain tube emulation by mixing the blend and gain controls. About half the control range depending on the mix. So quite a bit of range there before distortion kicks in - which to me was not usuable once it was mixed in and present enough to be recognized as such in a tune.

12. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Thanks, man.
    I'm managing to get one this week and will post the results soon.
    :)

13. the_luke

the_luke

Jul 3, 2005
    About volume, my Sansamp (the three switch one), easily powers my BXR400's power amp to saturation, when I have the boost on, and the gain around 1/4. I can tell because the power amp has a limiter which flashes when activating.

-Luke

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    And I have a brand new programmable one for sale...

I like my Eden head better. It works great that way though if that's your sound.