Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turlu, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have read almost all the threads on the SansAmp Bass Driver DI and it seems to me that pedal is nothing but the seventh wonder of this world....

Does it realize miracles ???

I am in a big mood to change my Bass Sound and even if I am satisfied with my Washburn, I am ready for a change. My birthday is coming and I am even thinking of buying either a Deluxe Jazz Bass or Rickenbacker 4001V63. This would be a big change. I am lost !!! Help me !!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh yes, this box will do everything you say, and much much more. If you do a search, you'll find only good stuff about the box. A must-have for all bassists. Amen. That's all.

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi Munji,

I just received the Bass Driver DI.

I tried it for couple hours and played with it at my Band Practice last night.

I do not hear any miracle....

In fact, I am a little disappointed with the Box. Maybe it's just the way I use it. Yes there is an improvement in sound but not as much as I expected from it.

;-(

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Bizarre. Truly bizarre. Did you read the manual? Did you futz around with it enough? How bizarre.

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks Munji for your e-mail.

I will continue to play with the little box and follow your instructions but I have to say that I was using it just the way you indicated me.

Thanks for your great help.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, now, maybe I should ask what kind of bass and what kind of amp are you using? Also, put the BDDI between the bass and the amp, not in the effects loop. I use both passive and active basses with it, and it makes a significant difference in tone, even when I run it through my little SWR Workingman's 12. Is the battery new? I'm a bit mystified.

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Munjibunga,

I use a Washburn 4 strings with EMG Active pick-ups. I have a Peavey TNT 115 for Amp.

I also use the BDDI between the Bass and the Amp.

I use a power supply for the BDDI and the battery in my Bass is new also.

It`s getting there !!!

Thx for your help.

8. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Turlu
    If you tweak it, they( the coolist bass tones) will come!

9. Hey Turlu,when you go in the studio the engineer/producer will most likely welcome your Sansamp.I recorded an album with that critter and wanted to own it.I wish I had a sound byte of my bass tone so that I could give you a sample.Keep working with that baby,it's a great addition.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    The same thing happenned to me when I got my Bass Driver DI, I thought there wasn't that much of an improvement. But I keept tweaking it and it's really a great little box.

I would recommend just to keep using it and you'll discover all the great little improvements this box delivers.

11. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I've found the best way to use the SABDDI is to ignore the manual's suggestion to keep the blend at 10 all of the time.

I basically keep my treble glued to 9:00, my bass to 3:00, and presence to around 2:00. I then use the blend as like a super single-knob tone control. To the left is very bassy but clear. To the right keeps all of the warmth but kind of adds some punch.

I've also found that it sounds a LOT better through a PA system than a bass amp, which kind of muddies it up.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The Blend control just sets how much of the "wet", or effected signal is sent out. I always leave mine at 10 because I want the tone to be fully controlled (at the input of the amp) by the BDDI. But, each to his or her own.

13. Hi Munji, You aid to put the BDDI before the amp, not the loop. I have not yet tried this. My preamp is a Eden Navigator with a side chain loop with a blend on the amp. This mixes the real wet and dry. I sometimes put a 506 after the BDDI daisy chained for chorus or octive div. I keep going back and fourth abot it. I like the sound of my amp alone, but when I mix the BDDI, it adds presence. I always end up with a 50/50 mix through the loop. My bass is an F Bass that I usually run active. Do you think I would benifit from placig the BDDI in front? And why? Thanks.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hope you guys don't mind me "piggy-backing" on your discussion, but it was out there...

It was recommended to me that I look into this unit to add some distortion to my setup. My profile is updated with all but the Bass Pod, which I'm returning, anyway. Can anyone give me an idea of how good the Bass Driver is for adding dirt to my sound?

Do you feel there are others out there that'll do the trick well?

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hear that the Bass POD is a great effects processor, why are you returning it??????

I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and for my opinion the 'DRIVE' knob on the Bass Driver delivers good distortion to any bass. I tried out the Zoom BXF 708 the other day, it had a couple of distortion effects and I feel that the Bass Driver delivers distortion better than the Zoom. With the 'DRIVE' and 'PRESENCE' knobs on the BD, you can create the kind of distortion that you like.

That's my opinion anyway...

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, that's a great question. But the answer is this...I have an EBS Fafner and EBS 4x10, which I happen to love the sound of! I think it's the most incredible stuff I've come across. I get wonderful tones through it, and don't really long for different amp models.

In addition, when I started out, I was only looking to color my sound a bit with effects, but still be able to hear the Fafner at work. With the Bass Pod, that's not possible. It's easy to bypass the effects, but the only way to bypass the amp modeling is with an A/B switch. Unfortunately, this method means that I'm also bypassing the effects! Furthermore, with individual pedals, I can select which one or ones I want to combine, whereas with the Bass Pod, you have a choice of one effect or zero effects...not multiple at a time.

I think it's a cool unit with lots of potential, and if I could afford it, I'd probably buy pedals AND have the Bass Pod. But, for my needs, the Bass Pod is just a waste of money and a waste of my amp.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So...is this unit, in fact, a good one to consider as a stomp box to add dirt to my sound or am I better off looking at other units?

18. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    RAM, if you're just looking to add a little dirt a Boss ODB-3 will get it done a lot cheaper and do it well.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the verdict is in...not quite a week with this thing and I think it's really cool! GO SANS AMP!!! It's really good at making my tone do all sorts of things I never thought about!:cool: