Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp Bass Driver Direct In - What good is it for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Moose308, May 14, 2002.

1. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    So, it was a boring Saturday, and I was in a pissy mood, and I wanted to buy something to cheer myself up. Some people when they are depressed, they eat cookies or chocolate or something. Me, I buy stuff. I am not fat, but I end up with lots of toys. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. :)

Anyway, back to Saturday. Being in a pissy mood, I decided to buy a bass pedal thing. I was temped by the new Boss GT-6B but sanity prevailed (too much $$$ dood!). I looked around some more and spotted a cute looking little black box sitting in the display counter. It looked so lonely, with ugly looking yellow writing all over it. I ended up buying a SansAmp Bass Driver Direct In.

Now, I know this is a stupid question, but what good is it for, really?

I have an idea that this could be a really cool toy, but would like a couple pointers, especially for uses I have not yet considered. Currently, my P-Bass plugs into it, then the SansAmp runs into my Bassman-25 effects-return port thus bypassing the Fender tone controls. This makes the SansAmp effectively a PreAmp? I have also ran it directly into my SoundBlaster Live! and recorded myself playing. Wow. I really sound bad. :rolleyes:

So, what else can I do with this thing. Granted, I suspect I have pretty much covered it so far, if someone else has any cool uses please let me know.

PS: I am not really impressed with the "Drive" distortion sound, but the rest of the tone modelling is pretty decent. And really quiet too.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a mistake. It's essentially a useless piece of doodoo.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you've got it pretty much covered.

4. Yes, doodoo that we both own :p

The drive and presence knobs sound good with moderation, just dont crank either, and you'll appreciate what both do. I've found that if you increase the presence, you have to roll treble quite a bit to sound good. YMMV

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This time, my biting sarcasm was the result of the fact that there has to be at least 100 threads about the SABDDI on here. God gave us the "Search" button for a reason. Use it.

Grumpy enough for you?

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang, that Munj is a curmudgeon, isn't he?

Even though he's kind of right about the search thing, here's my answer to your question about what it's good for: First, it's a DI. Obviously. It's also a preamp that can be used directly into a power amp or front of another preamp, like the one in a bass amp. Along with the DI functions you get amp and speaker simulation. It's an active EQ. It's a distortion of sorts. And, it has a blend knob so you can mix the dry sound of your bass with the effected sound. I've probably left out a few things, but I think that's most of it.

Wish I could go drop a couple hundred bucks on a new bass toy every time I felt crummy.

7. I believe part of the novelty of is that you can record distorted tones from a DI thate sound like a mic'd cab. I.e., you don't need to mic the cab to get good distorted tones but can use the DI.

If you run a bass into your average distortion box into a DI, it will sound very harsh....usually. Just my .002 (extra 0 adjusted for fatigue and inflation)

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    and the moderator should close this thread and give some search tip to the thread starter

9. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    Heaven fordid I should have the nerve of ASKING A QUESITON on this board. Heaven help us! Someone asked a question! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Nobody is forcing you to read the thread, much less comment on it. If you don't like the question, the thread, the discussion, the author, whatever, ignore it!

This is a forum for discussion about effects. It was a valid question for the group. Sorry if you are so experienced to have heard it all. Sorry if you are so busy that this thread slows you down. I shall try and stay out of your God-like presence from now on, not ask questions, and bask in you glorious light.

:rolleyes:

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    So this is an effects forum, but unless asking for specific info about a box, or better yet asking about a box not discussed before, it is better to read what has been said before to save time.

We just try to keep things efficient, not to be mean :D

11. If we didn't have a search here, we would have many of the same questions being asked *what is the best distortion to use; what is a sansamp; why do I need effects?

Asking people to use the search feature allows forums to have more diverse threads, which will get more attention because its not *just another sansamp thread*

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    By the way, what IS the best disto stomp box?

13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Aw, shoot, Munj, I was just going to ask you the same thing. But I think it must be the original Tube Screamer 'cause I saw a used one at GC for $750.

14. Ill sell you my Big Muff for $751, does that make it better then the tubescreamer? :p